Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refilled Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Refilled Pool

I have a 12,000 gallon pool that has just been drained and refilled. I would like to start to get it balanced. How should I start. I would like to use liquid chlorine.
    I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I will test the water and post the results. I was just wondering where I should start?

Any help appreciated.

Paul
    12,000 Gallon in ground pool. Sta-Rite System 3 High Rate Sand Filter S8S70. Plaster. Location: Arizona, Taylor K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Refilled Pool

We'll be able to help a lot more when we get some numbers, but I think I'd start with a couple of quarts of 8.25% bleach and then about half that much, per day, until the test kit comes. You have some pretty warm days coming up and we don't want any algae drama getting started.

Your first mission is chlorination and getting the water balanced. You'll have a leg up on the chlorine, so the first important number is going to be pH. After that, we'll help you ease into CYA, alkalinity and [maybe] calcium hardness..... which brings me to the point of asking you to complete your signature.... for example, is this vinyl, plaster, of fiberglass.... if vinyl, you may not be concerned with the CH, at all.....

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Starting by ordering a good kit was first.

That done, carefully read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Next, post your first set of test results as soon as your kit comes in......that starts the chemistry ball rolling.

I know you are anxious to do SOMETHING to your pool so put about 1/2 of a small jug of clorox in there each day until your kit arrives.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What he said.

Welcome to the forum Paul
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a difference between household bleach and the liquid chlorine that you buy at Lowes? Is one preferable to the other?

Thanks

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Hoping to get my pool up and running without spending too much!
    12,000 Gallon in ground pool. Sta-Rite System 3 High Rate Sand Filter S8S70. Plaster. Location: Arizona, Taylor K2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

The only difference between bleach and liquid chlorine is the chlorine percentage. Bleach is usually 8.25% if concentrated and 6% if not. Liquid chlorine is usually 10% chlorine. So, whichever is more convenient and a better deal.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi! You are off to the right start! If only the test kit was there yesterday LOL

Watch Lowes and Home Depot chlorine as it might have been sitting for a while. Check the date code. Walmart and Target bleach has a high turn over so it is almost always safe.

IF your pool store is close and easy to get to you can use their chlorine. You will put a deposit down on the jugs and get them refilled as needed.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Hi! You are off to the right start! If only the test kit was there yesterday LOL

Watch Lowes and Home Depot chlorine as it might have been sitting for a while. Check the date code. Walmart and Target bleach has a high turn over so it is almost always safe.

IF your pool store is close and easy to get to you can use their chlorine. You will put a deposit down on the jugs and get them refilled as needed.

Kim
    Hi Kim,
    I also want to purchase some chemicals. What else will I need? Can I avoid pool shops? I would love to stop using shock and other expensive chemicals.

Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I have a link for you! Think Target and Walmart for this stuff! How neat is that?????

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Most of the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart. Acid can be purchased at HD, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or the pool store. I never buy any of the recommended chemicals at the Pool Store except for maybe muriatic acid. Bleach will be your most important weekly purchase, so shop around for the best deal.

Aaahhh , there's Kim!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the replies. This is one of the best and most informative sites I have EVER used. Test kit should arrive tomorrow and I will post some numbers.

Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

If you elect to go with the high strength stuff, see if you can forge a friendship with local pressure washer companies. Locally, I have found 15% strength (128 oz,) for a little less than I paid for 8.25% (121 oz.), last season. I have found this calculator to be a great help. One word of warning: all liquid chlorine has a half-life and "stocking-up" is not a good idea.... the higher strength chlorine depreciates quicker than low strength.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

For chemicals, Bleach and maybe a gallon of Muratic acid will be the two most common. I won't go out and buy anything else on that list unless you need it. No reason for you to stock it when you can walk in to Walmart, grocery store, big box store and find it on the shelf. My 2 cents.

The calculator ewkearns posted is great. It allows you compare the price for the bleach per oz no matter how different the size container or the strength. It's really hard to tell if 128 oz 8% is the better buy compared to 96oz 10% unless you have a handy app like that to break down the price so you're doing apples to apples.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok. Here are my test results. Remember this is a newly refilled pool. I added 3 quarts of 8.25 % bleach. That's all.
    FC 2.0
    CC 0
    TC 2.0
    PH 8.0+
    TA 100
    CH 220
    CYA 0

Any advice what to do next?

Thanks

Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum! Next would be to bring your test results all within the guidelines the forum suggests. Those ranges and a short description of each parameter can be found by reading the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

I assume your water is clear, is that correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi Dave,
    Yes. Its clear. Is there a specific order that I need to follow? CYA first perhaps? I am assuming CC and CYA is 0 because its a new refill?

Paul

17. Back To Top    #17

Welcome, Paul! For sure the refill is why you have no CYA.

Lower the pH right away. Your real pH may be higher than 8...

I would go ahead and get the CYA in now. It can take up to a week to fully dissolve and register on your test.

18. Back To Top    #18

I am totally new to pool lcare. After I lower the PH how do I add CYA and how much?

19. Back To Top    #19

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

you might need to do the cya in increments...I have a 13,000 gallon pool (close to yours)
    and it needed 4 lbs of cya to get to the minimum of 30.

Unless you want to deal with a knee high sock, 1lb at a time is all that will fit in a regular sock.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast