Safe chlorine level to swim

mdhwoods

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2009
Sarasota Florida
I did a little searching trying to figure out what is a safe level to swim. I know my ideal ranges are between 5-9 with my cya level.

I remember growing up and having to stay out of my neighbors pool because they shocked it with who knows what.

I know if i am between the 5-9 range i am fine but what if i shock it because i let it get below 5 on me and I take it up to 18. Or when I try to get to my high of 9 I go over. Is there a general rule of when its ok to go in?

If all goes well we will be back in the pool tomorrow.

Thanks for all the guidance and the great pool school.

Mike

You will get different opinions on this; however, at our house, we feel it is okay if the FC is below the shock level for your CYA.

Just one more reason for folks to have a good test kit and know what their numbers really are!

I agree with the difference in opinion on this very subject.

My dad ran a public pool and kept the chlorine at 10-12 ppm every day and we swam there every summer as children with no problems. I had asked him once I got my pool what's the highest ppm we could swim at and he gave me that answer.

When I shock my pool, I will allow the pool to be swam in the next day. I have yet to see any issues with doing so, so that's what I do. I would imagine it would be anywhere from 12-15 ppm.

The kids haven't melted yet. :mrgreen:

The safe chlorine level varies with the CYA level. The higher the CYA level, the higher an FC level you can swim in. Indoor public pools are known to use FC levels up to 5, with a CYA level of 0. That is a far far higher effective chlorine level than you will ever see in an outdoor pool that uses CYA.

dlduvall said:
The kids havent melted yet. :lol: ROFL!

So as long as the kids are not melting I am good. Which one should I use to test? The 10 year old or the 7 year old. And do girls have an faster melt point then boys. See you answer one question and open the doors to other. lol

In all seriousness, I was thinking as long as the chlorine is below my shock point we are probably ok. Thanks for the reassurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.