Spruce up above ground pool wall

Feb 3, 2016
Macomb, MI
Good morning. First off, this is my first post on here but I have followed this forum for a long time and used a lot of ideas and suggestions from other posts on here.

So, I have an above ground 24' Doughboy pool which is about 27 years old. Believe it or not, I am actually still on the original liner in the pool! The liner is finally to the point to where I feel it needs to be replaced as it feels like the upper portion that stays out of the water is getting brittle, and I have been having strips of the liner coming off at the seams, so I figure it is only a mater of time before it finally fails and I want to replace it before that happens. So come late spring/early summer I am going to replace the liner in the pool with a new one. My pool walls are in great shape, from what I can see from the outside anyway. I know the real sign will be what the inside looks like when I take out the liner, but from the outside, I have no visible rust, no holes in it, no bowing, nothing that is making me have concerns about continuing to use the current pool wall and supports. My only issue with the pool wall is how it looks. Since it is 27 years old, it has had a LOT of exposure to the sun so the original planked wood fence design that was printed on the wall is extremely faded and not very pleasant to look at. I wanted to know what suggestions anybody had for refinishing the outside of the wall so it looks good again. I have seen on a few of the other posts that painting is an option, which I may do if I can't come up something else but I really don't know if I want to look at a solid colored pool either. I was curious if anybody had looked into using something like a vinyl film, similar to the stuff they wrap cars with, and applied it to the pool wall to make it look new again? I have found sites where I could buy it for about $2.50 a foot with a wood grain or planked design and I think it would be much easier applying it when the liner is out of the pool as I could then tuck the edges behind the pool uprights so it was a clean installation so it lasts a long time. for $2.50 a foot it would cost me about $200 for the vinyl, but I figure if the wall is still in good condition when I take out the liner and I think I can still get at least a good 10 years more out of it, I think it would be a worth while investment.

Has anybody on here done something like this? Any ideas on how best to prep the wall for something like this to be applied to it? Or if anybody else has any alternate ideas I am very open to them. Thanks!!

Invite a graffiti artist to your house to paint it? Some of they have REAL talent!

I kind of like the idea of the car wrap stuff. That is an idea that just might work. If it will work on a car with all they go through while moving at high speeds...........it just might work.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.