using chlorine tabs in tub

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
We have a hottub with a ozonater and only use a few times a week.. I am pretty much adding a little chlorine every day so I was wondering if I could just use a small floater with 1 inch tabs to keep a small amount of chlorine in the tub??? Anyone ever do this???

Tabs can be used initially after a fill or if you know your CYA is low, but must done so cautiously. Typically the tabs are only used during the initial fill (to also raise CYA), then regular bleach is used exclusively on a daily/weekly basis. You should also be sure what type of tabs you have on-hand (Trichlor or Dichlor). Trichlor is more acidic and can effect other readings (i.e TA). Please see THIS THREAD that has some great info on the use of dichlor tablets in a spa. Whenever using any tablets, they key is to ensure you also watch your CYA (stabilizer) level so it doesn't get too high. A CYA of 30 ppm is usually sufficient if your spa is typically covered. Once you know your CYA is at the proper level, stick just to bleach. Hope this helps.

One option you have would be to switch your tub to bromine. Ozone reacts with bromide to create bromine so this could help keep your bromine level stable between soaks. You would dose with chlorine just the same after soaks, it will just activate the bromine which will then burn off the organics.

They do also make SWGs for hot tubs, which is another option. I would consider either to be a better option than using chlorine tablets in a hot tub since they will dissolve quicker and will overstabilize fairly quickly. It can be done, I just like the other options better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.