Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using chlorine tabs in tub

1. Back To Top    #1

using chlorine tabs in tub

We have a hottub with a ozonater and only use a few times a week.. I am pretty much adding a little chlorine every day so I was wondering if I could just use a small floater with 1 inch tabs to keep a small amount of chlorine in the tub??? Anyone ever do this???
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: using chlorine tabs in tub

Tabs can be used initially after a fill or if you know your CYA is low, but must done so cautiously. Typically the tabs are only used during the initial fill (to also raise CYA), then regular bleach is used exclusively on a daily/weekly basis. You should also be sure what type of tabs you have on-hand (Trichlor or Dichlor). Trichlor is more acidic and can effect other readings (i.e TA). Please see THIS THREAD that has some great info on the use of dichlor tablets in a spa. Whenever using any tablets, they key is to ensure you also watch your CYA (stabilizer) level so it doesn't get too high. A CYA of 30 ppm is usually sufficient if your spa is typically covered. Once you know your CYA is at the proper level, stick just to bleach. Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info!!!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

One option you have would be to switch your tub to bromine. Ozone reacts with bromide to create bromine so this could help keep your bromine level stable between soaks. You would dose with chlorine just the same after soaks, it will just activate the bromine which will then burn off the organics.

They do also make SWGs for hot tubs, which is another option. I would consider either to be a better option than using chlorine tablets in a hot tub since they will dissolve quicker and will overstabilize fairly quickly. It can be done, I just like the other options better.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I can vouch for a salt water tub.... I was ready to throw in the towel and give my tub away. Nice to be able to forget about it and have crystal clear water 24/7....

6. Back To Top    #6

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates