Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does my pool need two LED color lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does my pool need two LED color lights?

We are in the final stages of planning and the builder has only estimated one LED color light for our 20x40 rectangle pool. I was thinking it would be necessary to have two lights but he said they usually only do two lights for the L-shape pools. Our pool goes from 3.5 ft down to 6ft. I was wondering if anyone had something similar and if they have any advice on number of lights needed. Each light is about $550 so I don't want to spend if I don't need to.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Does my pool need two LED color lights?

I would certainly use two lights on a pool that size......I did on mine and never regretted it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a pool about your size and I have 3 in the pool and 1 in the spa. I would say 2 minimum for yours. You have a big long pool.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

4. Back To Top    #4

You need two lights in the long side facing away from the main seating area. A single light on the short end in the deep end will not light the shallow end much and you will be swimming into the light doing laps.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is 20 x 40 and I have two Intellibrite LED lamps on the long side facing away from the house. Just the right amount of light IMO. One would not be enough.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought 3 of those pentair led lights ouch that hurt the pocket book

16.5x37 free firm Gunite pool with 14 foot wet deck. Wet edge satin matrix Aqua blue pebble finish. Pentair 2hp variable pump. Pentair 540 cartridge filter. Pentair salt system. Pentair led lights 2 large 1 small. Intellibrite 5g controller. 1200sqft concrete decking.

7. Back To Top    #7

Get the second light -- I followed the board's advice and ordered a second light, and looking at my as-yet-plastered-or-filled pool, I think the even coverage of light will be perfect
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

dkite, I'd spend the $550 now like everyone is recommending as it's not really that much when you think of the whole project.
    Nothing worse than having a nice new pool and wishing you'd have done "X" after it's all done. That size really needs two.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

i have an 18 by 32 foot pool and i have three led lights (recommended by builder) and it has the right amount of light. do not UNDER light!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a 45 x 25 (roughly) built in the mid 80's with one light well midway on the long side and one light in the corner spa. converted to LED a couple years ago (as well as converting the 120v wiring to 12v) and never regretted it. pool lights up very nicely with exception of some darkening towards deep / shallow ends on the same long wall as the light well. Pool still looks great at night- i get lots of compliments - but if I were building this size pool new I'd spec two lights in the large area as mentioned.

BTW anyone looking for high quality pool LED lights at a much more reasonable price than Pentair (highway robbery!) please see the info I posted on this thread page. Only difference with these is you'll end up with more money in your pocket- have had their lights installed for 2yrs now not a single issue and super bright. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-LED-Lighting
    55k gal in-ground pool with corner spa, inside an 1800sf poolhouse. Hayward H400IDL heater, Pentair intelliflo pump, home brew automation controls, LED pool lighting and converted 120v to 12v system.

11. Back To Top    #11

You can see my pool in my sign (My pool link). I have three of the 3-inch type LED lights that go along one side of the pool. Works very well. Also note that if you chose to get color-changing lights, the darker colors (purple, red, etc) don't travel as far or light-up the pool as much, so that may influence your decision as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post
    BTW anyone looking for high quality pool LED lights at a much more reasonable price than Pentair (highway robbery!) please see the info I posted on this thread page. Only difference with these is you'll end up with more money in your pocket- have had their lights installed for 2yrs now not a single issue and super bright. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-LED-Lighting
    Looks pretty interesting, but seems to only help those with screw-in light types. Any relief for those of us using the Pentair SAM/SAL, or other pool-branded lights? It's nice to be able to control the lights from the remote and/or pool controller.