Wiring a new pump motor

Feb 2, 2016
Baton Rouge LA
My pump motor died so I ordered a new energy efficient 1 hp Century motor. The old pump had 4 terminals on it. 2 spade connections and 2 screw connections. The spade connection wires are brown and white and there is 248 volts measured between the 2 terminals. The screw connection wires are red and blue and there is 248 volts measured between the 2 terminals. The new energy efficient motor only has 2 screw terminals. How do I connect the new motor? Old motor is on the left and new motor is on the right.

Old Motor.jpg New Motor.jpg

You only have three external incoming wires - the red, blue, and green. Ignore the brown and white. Those are internal to the motor.

On the new motor, connect the red and blue to the silver side-by-side screw terminals, and connect the green (ground) to the green screw.

Since you measured your incoming voltage at 248V, make sure that the hexagonal voltage adjuster is at the 230v position - which it is in your picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.