Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring a new pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring a new pump motor

My pump motor died so I ordered a new energy efficient 1 hp Century motor. The old pump had 4 terminals on it. 2 spade connections and 2 screw connections. The spade connection wires are brown and white and there is 248 volts measured between the 2 terminals. The screw connection wires are red and blue and there is 248 volts measured between the 2 terminals. The new energy efficient motor only has 2 screw terminals. How do I connect the new motor? Old motor is on the left and new motor is on the right.

Old Motor.jpg New Motor.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Wiring a new pump motor

You only have three external incoming wires - the red, blue, and green. Ignore the brown and white. Those are internal to the motor.

On the new motor, connect the red and blue to the silver side-by-side screw terminals, and connect the green (ground) to the green screw.

Since you measured your incoming voltage at 248V, make sure that the hexagonal voltage adjuster is at the 230v position - which it is in your picture.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Wiring a new pump motor

poolkid, thanks for the reply. Now that (you told me) and I look closely at the photo it is obvious the brown and white are internal to the motor.