Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC piping

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC piping

Hello,

Looking ahead to possibly changing out the pump and backwash valve. Are the pipes/fittings typically available at the Home Depot, etc? I have installed a few sprinkler systems and walked the aisle of HD but never pay attention to pool fittings.

For the backwash valve from the same manufacturer, are the holes spacing the same (union to the tank, Planning to change the valve since there is a slow leak but not the tank). The handle says Haywood SP722-D which looks like this below:

Amazon.com: Hayward SP0410X502S Micro-Clear Slide Valve Assembly with 2-Inch Pipe: Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks,
    TT

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PVC piping

I doubt you will find many pool valves at the Big Box. All the pipe and fittings you need but I would suggest you not buy those red ball valved there......they will freeze up in just a year or so.

Stick with Preyer, Jandy or Pentair.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It may be worthwhile doing a bit of research into that valve to see if you can get a seal kit for it, to recondition the existing one instead of replacing it.

Amazon.com : Hayward Filter Slide Valve 2 Garden
    Last edited by AUSpool; 02-03-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added link to seal kit
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

4. Back To Top    #4

The backwash valve and proprietary unions are pool store items. The pipe, elbows, unions, etc are all standard PVC you can get at any hardware store. Any valves you need to replace should be pool items, as Duraleigh mentioned.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Can I used the glue for sprinkler pvc? I don't see the pool glue at the local HD.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're referring to the Oatey purple primer and Oatey PVC cement, that's fine. Make sure to give it about 5-10 minutes to set before applying pressure.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

The purple is fine if you have it but the blue is a little better for future reference.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach