Leak in a Part Going to Filter

Feb 2, 2016
NJ
I just bought a house with an above ground pool and I have a leak from the part shown below. There is the tube coming from under my pool that connects into the part below, which then goes into the pump. It looks like there is a loose connection, but I'm not sure what the part is or how to replace it. It seems like there is always water pressure going through the part, so if I were to unhook it, then water would just keep coming how. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Pool pic.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

That is a check valve to stop water flowing back. And some flex pvc and a not great looking plumbing job. What is leaking? One of the fittings going in or out? Or the check valve cover? Post another pic or two from a little further back too.

More info here on adding your pool info to your signature so we can better help you, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thanks for the info so far. So it looks like the leak is coming from where the check valve joins with the fitting (one going to the pump). The connection doesn't seem to be sealed, so it is slowing leaking out of the bottom of it.

Check Valve 1.jpg

That is some interesting plumbing! :) If you are lucky maybe it is leaking from that union. Try tightening the nut on the union if it is loose. If it isn't loose back it off and retighten or open it and check the o-ring. Do you know why you need/have a check valve? Is the pool down hill from the pump and it is there to help it hold prime and keep the filter full of water?

Pretty much everything I look into with this house is that the old owner did something "interesting" on all his projects. I'm not exactly sure why there is a check valve there. The pool is right next to it, it might be a little bit down hill, but not much. Water does feed in from the other side from solar coils, but I'm not sure if that makes sense. I guess my bigger question is why is there continuously water pressure flowing from the pool through the check valve. If I were to disconnect anything, then water would just start coming right out. Do I have to plug something in the pool first?

Interesting plumbing! Looks like the folks you bought your house from went to school of repair with the same people I bought my house from.

That check valve is on the suction side of your pump. Not much reason for it to be there, other than preventing water from flowing from the pump, back into the pool when the pump is off and the pump lid was taken off. It might preserve your ability to reprime the pump after cleaning out the filter basket. Certainly not required by any means as you can just pour a bucket of water in the pump basket then close it up quickly to help the pump achieve prime quicker when you turn it back on.

If I were you, I would cut out the check valve, back as far as the flexible PVC to the left in the first picture. Then plumb from there directly to the pump, perhaps adding a two-way valve between the flexible PVC and the pump.

The valve on the other side of the pump doesn't make a lot of sense. The only reason for that to be there is perhaps to be used when winterizing the pool. You could use that fitting to blow out the plumbing with a blower or shop-vac when winterizing.

Thanks. If I were to cut out the check valve right now though, then water would be coming from the pool out of where I cut. Do I have to plug something in the pool that feeds into that flexible PVC?

Thanks. If I were to cut out the check valve right now though, then water would be coming from the pool out of where I cut. Do I have to plug something in the pool that feeds into that flexible PVC?

You would have to plug any suction side lines running to your pump. This would be any lines coming from your skimmer(s). A plug in the bottom of the skimmer(s) would work.

EDIT:

There are many sizes of plugs, so you have to have the right one based on the opening size at the bottom of the skimmer, but this is the style that works best for me. YMMV.

Drain-Plug-S.jpg

The water keeps flowing through the pipe due to the water pressure from the pool. Those plugs can be used to plug the pipe in the bottom of the skimmer, usually 1-1/2" or 2". Or it will stop flowing once the water drops below the skimmer opening as long as you don't have a bottom drain. If you do have a bottom drain and it is plumbed in to the skimmers then you will need to plug the back hole (away from the pool). The other hole is feeding water from the bottom drain.

I think the pipe is coming from under the pool from a bottom drain only. So if the water is feeding in from the bottom drain only, do I have to plug that somehow, or the "back hole" you mentioned. I have no clue what / where the back hole would be if that is what I need to plug since the pipe just comes straight out from the ground under the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to assume the fitting that goes into pump is showing the spigot end to a skimmer and the flow valve to a center drain? if your pool has a center drain, than that is what the line coming out of the bricks is, if that is the case, you can raise that line above the water level to refit new valves and such, if you are restricted to how high you can raise that line, you can lower the water in the pool until you can, BUT do not lower it to much as the walls require the water to hold them up.

Look under the skimmer baskets, there are two holes in the bottom. The front hole (pool side), if not plugged, is from the bottom drain. The back hole goes to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.