Remove drive from Intelliflo

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
Hello all. I just had a new Intelliflo VS installed. The electrical conduit connection is straight in, but for various reasons I would like to use a 90 degree conduit connection. The fan housing prevents this. I looks like I could just remove the drive assembly then put in my 90 degree conduit piece then re-install the drive. My question is am I in danger of messing up my new pump if I remove the drive? There is a gasket involved which the manual states is critical to prevent moisture from getting into the connector which joins the drive and the motor. Has anyone done this and had damage to the gasket? A replacement gasket only comes in a hardware kit for $60.00!

Thanks!

This is the type I want to use:

If I try to screw this into the threaded hole in the junction box it will hit the motor fan housing. I could remove the fan housing, but it has a screw underneath that would be difficult for me to access.

If I can remove the drive, it would be very easy to attach my 90 degree connector.

My question was, if I remove the drive do I take any risk of damaging the gasket between the motor and the drive. You have to buy a whole hardware kit just to get the gasket, and it is around $60.00.

I still don't understand why you need to remove the drive?

The elbow fitting wont screw in completely with the drive still attached.

Before you begin, be sure that you turn all the power off to the drive before you disconnect the wires to the drive, then:

Remove the three long bolts that are exposed when you open the door to the drive.

Remove the drive by gently pulling straight up.

There will be three grommets that will either stick to the drive end or the motor end, or both. Be sure to recover all three, and re-attach them to the motor end.

Remove the old and install your new fitting.

What i do to insure that the drive lines up to the plug correctly upon re-installation is pull one of the long bolts out of the cover, generally one of the top ones. Then i sight through the hole to the threads on the motor and line it up that way, because you want to make sure that the plug is lined up. The drive should plug in with little effort, if it don't, you're not lined up. Make your power connection and you're dun!

This is an Intelliflo VS

This is an Intelliflo XF

No need to remove the drive on either...

How did you manage to screw in the 90 degree connector without removing the drive or fan housing?

- - - Updated - - -

The elbow fitting wont screw in completely with the drive still attached.

Before you begin, be sure that you turn all the power off to the drive before you disconnect the wires to the drive, then:

Remove the three long bolts that are exposed when you open the door to the drive.

Remove the drive by gently pulling straight up.

There will be three grommets that will either stick to the drive end or the motor end, or both. Be sure to recover all three, and re-attach them to the motor end.

Remove the old and install your new fitting.

What i do to insure that the drive lines up to the plug correctly upon re-installation is pull one of the long bolts out of the cover, generally one of the top ones. Then i sight through the hole to the threads on the motor and line it up that way, because you want to make sure that the plug is lined up. The drive should plug in with little effort, if it don't, you're not lined up. Make your power connection and you're dun!

Thanks Pool Clown. That is the exact info I need.

I just threaded them in on both pumps. It is a very tight fit but worked just fine. I'd add a 1/2" threaded extension before the elbow instead of pulling the drive from a brand new pump. I don't foresee any issues if you do choose to remove the drive but why go through the trouble?

There are also larger radiused elbows that would clear without any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.