Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools, pls help identify components

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools, pls help identify components

Hello All,

I took ownership of a home with a pool and looking for some help. I'm new to pools and have no idea about pool plumbing. I can identify the pool pump, filter and heater. However, there are a couple of components I'm not understanding. Furthermore, I don't know if this is a saltwater or chlorine pool. Listing agent had no idea, the home was bank owned. I attached two pictures. The first picture has two components which to me would look like pumps but they only have one like to them as opposed to an inlet and outlet. The second picture I'm assuming it is a check valve?
    20160202_080559_1.jpg20160202_083821.jpg

Pool dimensions 40'x20', 3 feet shallow end and 7' deep end
    Heater Pentair Mastertemp 400
    Filter pump Hayward SP3020EE, Motor AO Smith ST1202, 2HP
    Filter Hayward Pro Grid D.E Filter
    ~40k gallons 40'x20' - 10'deep end 3' shallow end
    Hayward D.E. Filter (DE4820)
    Pentair Master-Temp 400K
    Filter Pump Hayward Supper II Pump SP3020

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New to pools, pls help identify components

The black cylindrical item on top of the pipe is an air blower. It is usually attached to the spa jets to boost performance.

The rusty thing near the ground is a pool sweep booster pump. It is designed to provide high pressure for the original "Pool Sweep" made by Arneson. If it runs, You can also use it to run a Polaris 180, 280, or 380 cleaner.

Yes, that is a check valve. If you ever need to replace it, buy one with attached unions for easy servicing in the future.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! You will find a lot of useful information on this site. The white arrow is pointing to an air blower for the spa. The red arrow appears to point at a booster pump for a cleaner of some type and the bulge in the piping is a check valve to prevent water in the spa from draining back into the pool when the spa is off.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

I do not see a saltwater chlorine generator in the pics. Please update your location to include your state or country. Climate is an important factor when giving advice on pool care.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all your help.
    Another question. I purchased a Zodiac Barracuda MX8 not knowing that I had a pump booster in the system. Can I now eliminate the booster pump from the system? Is it still needed?
    Location is San Bernardino County, California.
    I will update location.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you can punt the booster pump. It's only function is to power a pressure side cleaner.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

There may be an issue with that blower. The valve under it has been closed. If it does work, you would need to open that valve to keep the blower from getting damaged. You shouldn't run the blower against a closed or blocked line.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool clown,

Correct. That blower is toast. It sparked and let out smoke the minute it was turned on. Trying to get home warranty to replace the blower and the filter pump. As it turns out, the booster pump wasn't even connected. However, I decided to eliminate the booster.
    ~40k gallons 40'x20' - 10'deep end 3' shallow end
    Hayward D.E. Filter (DE4820)
    Pentair Master-Temp 400K
    Filter Pump Hayward Supper II Pump SP3020