Male & Female adapters vs Unions

Oct 15, 2014
Austin,TX
I'm making some changes to my above grade plumbing near the pump. Realizing that if I have to cut sections out too many more times, I'll be short on pipe to attach new couplings and sections to. So, I'm thinking about installing either male/female adapters or unions. This way, if I need to remove a section later, I can just screw in the replacement section without shortening my remaining pipe.

Questions:
1. Is this a bad idea?
2. Which is more reliable, a pair of male/female adapters, or a union?

Also, I've been considering using some flexible pvc hose for one section where getting an exact fit with the rigid pvc is going to be especially tricky. Any special advice for gluing it to PVC couplings?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, no doubt experience has shown if you can install a union before/after a component, it will help you down the road if/when disassembly is required. There are also times were a male/female adapter comes-in handy, but depending on the application, subsequent removal may be difficult since one end is glued. Still, each has their place in your plumbing. Every pool is plumbed differently, so evaluating what works best for you is key. While rigid PVC is probably preferred by most, flex certainly can be used in some pool applications, but you have to be careful to ensure it is glued firmly into each joint/fitting. Clean cuts and level/supported plumbing is also key as to not push or pull on the joint where the hose enters. As far as I know standard prime/glue procedures apply to flex just as rigid. Maybe someone else will follow-up with a comment or two.

If you want the best selection of good unions such as Spear, your best and easiest bet is with a sprinkler/irrigation supply house. For me it's been hit/miss at big box stores, and they almost always have the cheaper/lower quality components like this. When it comes to unions, quality really does matter, especially when they are placed on the suction side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.