Safety Mesh Cover

Jul 1, 2012
North Atlanta
Hello

I bought a safety mesh cover on CL for 100$ last October and couldn't wait to use it this winter Well here it is Feb 2 and the water is nasty Cant tell if it's green or Black

The winter here in Atl hasn't been to cold but we have had alot of rain

Couple of questions-

Am I suppose to shut the pump off with this type of liner?? (I usually keep it open year round as I don't like the water getting like this)

I closed the pump off for winter and blew the lines out with the skimmer jug plug as well

Also I should have bought the solid cover This mesh material is the one where water can get through and it's not fun

Thanks

I live in Canton and had my pool turn black. I swept the walls and bottom and it was all just dirt, probably from all the rain. I added 2 lbs of shock, ran the pump for 24 hours with the pool vacuum inside the pool and water turned crystal clear!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I stay open year round also. I would have left the pump running and added bleach every week or two or three as needed to maintain a chlorine level so algae wouldn't grow. During winter I turn off the SWG and test and add a gallon or two of bleach every few weeks to keep the FC around 10ppm.

At this point I recommend removing the cover, opening the pool and SLAMing to kill the algae. It will be easier now while the water is colder. Here is how, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you have blown out the lines, then yes the pump needs to be off. Running it dry can damage the pump.

Even solid covers allow some water to get into the pool.

I see from your previous post you closed the pool in November, which is probably too early in our mild climate. You want the water temperature consistently below 60 before you close to avoid algae growth. For more information on closing next year check out Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

or this thread from 2007 - Closing an in ground pool

While I didn't have a pool, I lived in Kennesaw for five years and don't think I would close a pool in that area if the pump equipment could be easily protected.

Hello

I bought a safety mesh cover on CL for 100$ last October and couldn't wait to use it this winter Well here it is Feb 2 and the water is nasty Cant tell if it's green or Black

The winter here in Atl hasn't been to cold but we have had alot of rain

Couple of questions-

Am I suppose to shut the pump off with this type of liner?? (I usually keep it open year round as I don't like the water getting like this)

I closed the pump off for winter and blew the lines out with the skimmer jug plug as well

Also I should have bought the solid cover This mesh material is the one where water can get through and it's not fun

Thanks

I hear you. Our pool came with a mesh cover which made spring opening a lot of work. Some years ago I started covering the mesh cover with a tarp style cover and am much happier with the results.

I live in Canton and had my pool turn black. I swept the walls and bottom and it was all just dirt, probably from all the rain. I added 2 lbs of shock, ran the pump for 24 hours with the pool vacuum inside the pool and water turned crystal clear!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Hey Doc nice talking with you I'm right down the street in Woodstock

Thanks everyone

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.