Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Electrical shock

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    5

    Electrical shock

    I just encountered an odd problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have a broken Jandy Check flow valve. The entire valve mechanism broke apart from the cover some how. I found the spring in the Paramount water valve for my in floor cleaning system (was jamming it), but the flapper and axle are still missing. (Shout out to Jim the tech Guru at Paramount who helped me figure out what was going on.) That's not the odd part though.

    So I went to take the Jandy valve apart, and as soon as I started touching the water in the valve, I started to get little shocks. I shut off the power at the breaker, and still got some little shocks, but seemed less. I have never gotten a shock from anywhere around my equipment, much less around the pool or from the pool water.

    Read some of the old posts on grounding vs. bonding, but not sure what to make of this because it has only happened when touching the water by the equipment, while taking apart this plastic valve. In fact, I touch the water around the equipment all the time when I empty out my pump basket, and never had an issue.

    Any ideas? Thank you!
    Henderson, NV. 23K gallon in ground pool. Plaster with 3M Colorquartz. Paramount PCC200 in floor system.
    Hayward Ecostar 2HP. Heliocol Solar heating. Hayward Cartridge filter.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    banditig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    464

    Re: Electrical shock

    I don't think it's the valve. A break in bonding equipment. But I will leave for experts bump
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Electrical shock

    First you need a good electrician. Call a big dairy farm and ask who troubleshoots their bonding system.

    How bad is the shock?

    My guess now is that you have a "current leak" somewhere on your pad or around it and there is a path that is leading to the water in the pad pipes. The pad surface is not bonded so your body is providing a path to the "ground" for the current in the water. Its not happening at the pool because the water is bonded to the deck so there is little imbalance in electrical potential between the two. Additionally resistance may reduce the amount of current by the time it gets to the pool. But that is just a guess now.

    Again you need an electrician who understands bonding to look at this. Call around and find an electrician with bonding experience. Dairy barns are bonded and stray current can be a problem there so those electricians usually know what they are doing. But call an electrician.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ottawa/Ontario
    Posts
    335

    Re: Electrical shock

    Stray voltage tingle shock, on the order of a few volts will create small shock sensations. Likely a grounding issue, or possibly symptomatic of a poorly sized neutral. Have you done any electrical work in your house of late? Have your neighbours done any electrical work late. It may be worthwhile to also contact your local utility. You are highly encouraged to find a well qualified electrician who can do the right forensics to trace back to the source. A good electrician may not suffice here....


    68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    5

    Re: Electrical shock

    Thanks for the help! I figured out the problem, it's really silly:

    It was all static build up! I have a "Shade Sail" over my pool equipment, which came down with the high winds recently. While I was working around the equipment, it was billowing around over me and I guess charging me up like when you rub your shoes on carpet. Whenever I touched the water or something metallic, I got a little shock.

    I tied the sail down away from me, and the problem went away.
    Henderson, NV. 23K gallon in ground pool. Plaster with 3M Colorquartz. Paramount PCC200 in floor system.
    Hayward Ecostar 2HP. Heliocol Solar heating. Hayward Cartridge filter.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Electrical shock

    Thanks for the update. So glad it wasn't more serious!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Katy/Texas
    Posts
    411

    Re: Electrical shock

    I would never have thought of that.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ottawa/Ontario
    Posts
    335

    Re: Electrical shock

    Excellent!


    68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •