Advice Please

That makes no sense. Pools, with the sudden addition of chlorine, do not go green from organics.

As always, blending what you learn on this forum with pool store advice is a bad recipe.....you end up in the middle not knowing which way to turn. You should settle on one source and try to get your pool clear with the help of that source.

Duraleigh, The only reason I went to the pool store was to get the water tested as you had suggested. I have not been to or taken advice from a pool store since I began this forum last summer. I have gone strictly by the advice of those on the forum and , as I said, only went to them to get the water tested for metals as suggested by you and others on this forum. I have been a bit confused by the many different pieces of advice I have received here. I know all are trying to help but all seem to have a different take on the problem. In any case the water is seeming to clear up on its own so I will continue to keep my FC level and hope that by adding the sequestrant and hope the staining will improve. I did note a bit of dead algae spots today so I may later have to do a slam but will tackle that once I see if the sequestrant works. Thanks.
Dur

^+1

Okay, so this morning I tried to dig up your summer thread.

You treated with a product called Metal Control from Leslie's back in July. If its available to you, I would trust Metl Magic, but either way, when you're using sequestrant and it wears off and your water turns green on addition of chlorine there is really NO question, you have metals ;)

I also found this comment referring to your ascorbic acid treatments and your purple flashpoint on calcium reading:

So stay the course by topping up your sequestrant, maintaining normal FC, and do not slam, at least until you've given the sequestrant a week to work....slamming will turn your water clear green by the sounds of it. If you HAVE to later because you have algae, then you'll need to add sequestrant again after.

Hope this helps!

Yes this does help thanks. I had the water tested at 2 different locations and they both said no copper or iron showing up on the tests so not sure there but they all agreed that the sequestrant would be the thing to try so will post later the results there. I have noticed a bit of dead algae but will worry with that a bit down the road. Thanks.

Been trying to log into my troublefree account on my desktop computer but have not been able to for days. Tried thru taptalk on my phone and got on. Can't figure it out. Anyway just wanted to let everyone know that the sequestrant in the pool definitely did the trick. My pool is beautiful again. Crystal clear - no green, no staining and no dead algae. So obviously there was something in the water as you guys figured. I will definitely maintain with regular addition of sequestrant from now on. I did note that my alkalinity fell to about 80. Should I try to increase it?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Yes I was really relieved that it worked. My liner looks better now then it has for months. Glad it all worked out because it has been rough working around that water in the colder weather. But at least we have had some pretty enough days that I could get out there. ?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

If your water temp is low (60-ish) you are probably okay for now. Colder water tends to be more stable. When you test your CYA, do like taxes and round-up (or down) as needed. So if you get 45 - just say 50 and then use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to ensure you have the correct FC. As you approach spring (and especially summer) you will probably watch CYA closely to ensure it is protecting your FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.