Most rat-proof heater?

Hi-
Can you operate the heater with the mesh on? I've seen this topic discussed on other sites and everyone says to remove all the material when the heater is in use. It didnt make sense to me as I can't figure out how the mesh interferes with operation.

We have rats too, but they eat the wiring in lawn mowers, cars, boat, and RV. They have also eaten the rubber tracks on my Dolphin robotic cleaner and all of my lawn furniture cushions.

Honda and Toyota Motor Companies had lawsuits pending against them because the material that covered the wiring was plant based bio-degradable (eco friendly) so rabbits, squirrels, rats, and mice liked to eat it. I bet all wiring is the same, not just Honda wiring. I have not heard about any companies being sued that actually make the wiring. No matter which heater you go with, the soy-based insulation covering the wiring will probably be the same wiring until enough people pitch a fit.

We keep rat traps baited with cat food under the hoods of our cars now. Sometime we catch them. Opened the hood one night and a rabbit was sitting there! Rat and a squirrel were seen on other nights.

So far, we have replaced wiring on a Honda, Chevy Tahoe, Nissan Rogue., and the riding mower. Have not fixed the RV yet since it is old with 22,000 miles and we are selling it as is. Repair guy pulled 3 lbs of dog food out of the Tahoe. Poor rats lost their winter stash!

I wonder if you could wrap the wire in some kind of tape after you replace the wiring. I have heard rats won't eat steel wool. Maybe you could put some around the wires.

We have tried moth balls in socks or bags, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, Capsaisin (hot pepper) oil. They holes in the socks. We tried small animal traps and electrical shock traps. (never caught one.) $6,000.00 of wiring repair, and I no longer thought about being humane!

I guess we could get a feral cat but we'd probably get a lazy one!

I would love to find something besides traps. Please post if you find something that works.

Very easy way to insure that you don't have rats invade your heater...run it for at least 10 min's once per week...this will also burn out spider webs that have started to fill an orifice.

Now, if you're up N where it's frozen time and no water flow, build or have built a 1/4' wire mesh that goes all the way around your heater.

Finally, rats need 2 things in every scenario: Food and shelter...if you have dog or cat food you leave out, or bird seed, trashcans wout closeable lids, or your nbors do, then you have to work on removing the shelter side. get proactive and take away their food first, then their shelter. One or other and they will leave to where they can obtain both...

I'm not a fan of cats, but they too will do a number on rats/mice...

BTW, rats, if they need to, can chew through anything other than concrete: wire, wood, thick plastics, etc...if you do administer poisons, just make sure your pets and your nbors pets are not susceptible to accessing them

The mk rebar kit was the ONLY thing that worked on our master temp pentair...3 mice intrusions in the first 3 years of ownership ... none since installing g the kit...heater works perfectly as well...seems expensive for what it is but everything was cut perfectly and took 5 minutes with a drill and supplied self tapping screws....really wish I did it before I had to repair all the Wiring.

Reactions: Thehomez66
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.