Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most rat-proof heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Most rat-proof heater?

I've got a 14 year old natural gas 400k BTU Hayward heater that I think has finally bit the dust. The control panel has been damaged due to rats as well as insulation chewed up and various other wires chewed. I've got bait stations outside and every time I open it to clean out a nest or a dead rat I leave fresh poison inside and reset the traps in there but they always come back in.

Since the heater is pretty old I'm thinking of replacing it, are there any brands or models that are more rat proof than others? The Hayward I have is pretty much wide open all the way around the base.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Most rat-proof heater?

Well nothing is rat proof 100%. Not too many rats ever get inside a Raypak. Plus I would load up on moth balls or crystallized bobcat urine.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

My brother in law has a newer Hayward that seems pretty secure. But I've not inspected it super close.

Can an you repair the wires? I recently rebooted a fairly old pentair heater (15 years old maybe?). I replaced wires that were exposed and some other items. Now it seems back to new again.
    My Pool: Guessing; 7,500g total, has a spa. WhisperFlo WFE-28 single speed, MiniMax NT 400 heater, Pentair Cart. CCP320.
    BIL pool: 16,000 total water, (650g spa). 3hp InteliFlo VS, Hayward heater (unsure of BTU), Hayward DE6000. full drain/refill on Nov. 25th, running BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4

IMO, every heater should be rat/mouse proofed. I thought my Sta-Rite gas heater didn't have any real access openings..was I wrong. Rats can get through a whole the size of a quarter.

I found a large rats nest inside my heater even tho I had traps set outside and poison placed around it. With the next Sta-Rite I got to replace my 12 yr unit, I cut pieces of metal wire mesh I bought from Home Dept and covered up any and all openings, using sheet metal screws to fasten the pieces to the heater shell. No signs of nesting, chewed wire or hoses, or the smell of urine after almost three years.

Word to to the wise.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The rats LOVE the Sta-Rites more than any other unit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner12 View Post
    Can an you repair the wires? I recently rebooted a fairly old pentair heater (15 years old maybe?). I replaced wires that were exposed and some other items. Now it seems back to new again.
    I'm sure the connecting wires can be repaired, the control board is definitely toast though. The ribbon cable that connects to the display is chewed up and definitely a resistor or capacitor has scorch marks around it. From doing a little research online 12 years seems like a pretty long-in-the-tooth heater and I'm concerned a new control board installed will be $500 and the heater will only last another year or two. Plus I was hoping that maybe newer models would be more rat proof.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The local sales rep for Jandy has mentioned to me more than once that their new JXi heater was designed to be rat proof.

You won't find the claim in their promo materials so YMMV.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by poolkid View Post
    The local sales rep for Jandy has mentioned to me more than once that their new JXi heater was designed to be rat proof.

You won't find the claim in their promo materials so YMMV.
    Ha ha ha....That's a good one, rat proof. I guess if it's encased on concrete. I've seen rats eat thru almost everything but concrete.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I would say to avoid the Sta-Rite MaxTherm. Zero rat protection.

20140221_133657.jpg
    20140221_133705.jpg
    20140221_134039.jpg
    20140221_133908.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

Now that there is nasty!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    Now that there is nasty!
    The customer was out of state and kept insisting on a quote for repair until I sent pictures. I installed a Pentair MasterTemp and encased it with 1/4" mesh wire screen. It's been 2 years and no rat intrusions.

12. Back To Top    #12

I should probably go out and open up & inspect my heater ... I'm just too scared as to what I might find

Destructive little buggers....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Before replacing my Sta Rite (for non-rate infestation reasons), mine looked like that too. What I found so amusing is that the nest had all of my rat poison cubes stored in the nest - here I was thinking that all the poison cubes I had been placing around the heater were being consumed.

Because virtually any heater can be infested by rats, I don't think a rat's ability to infest a Sta Rite means that make/model should be avoided. All heaters, regardless of brand, should be wire meshed protected. It's an inexpensive fix for any heater and well worth it.

But if you do have an unprotected heater (Sta Rite or otherwise) that you haven't opened in a while, it would be a good idea to open her up and take a look as a standard and/or preventative maintenance exercise. Put on a suit of armor before doing so (j/k).
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimslaw View Post
    All heaters, regardless of brand, should be wire meshed protected. It's an inexpensive fix for any heater and well worth it.
    Excellent point. I prefer the Pentair version (MasterTemp) because it's shaped like a cube. It's much easier to install the wire mesh.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

There is a company, MKRebar Benders, that makes a rat proofing kit (MKR-27-0008) for the sta-rite, and others. I can only find it through my distribution which will make it a challenge to get for the homeowner, unless of course, you get it through your pool guy.

This is what one home owner did with simple chicken wire and some sheet metal screws.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by poolkid View Post
    I would say to avoid the Sta-Rite MaxTherm. Zero rat protection.

20140221_133657.jpg
    20140221_133705.jpg
    20140221_134039.jpg
    20140221_133908.jpg
    Yup, see it a lot.
    Paul

17. Back To Top    #17

I am officially horrified. God only knows how I will react when something ends up in my pool. In middle school, we dissected eggs as they developed and I couldnt eat eggs for a decade. Or so.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    I am officially horrified. God only knows how I will react when something ends up in my pool. In middle school, we dissected eggs as they developed and I couldnt eat eggs for a decade. Or so.
    Hey Helen,

How about one of these

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

19. Back To Top    #19

omg, you are horrible!!!! lol, then again, i can eat a crab!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

The locals tell me you can eat those things, but I prefer a good steak in my BBQ

Don't worry Helen, they don't like the East Coast weather much so you're not in any danger of finding one of those in your pool.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast