Switch from Hayward to Pentair?

Pentair will give you a full three year warranty provided your pump is "professionally installed". So if you mail in the warranty card along with a receipt for install from an electrician, plumber or pool company you can get the full warranty. If you know someone who owes you a favor you might ask them to give you a hand (and a receipt) for a few cold ones and a few bucks.

I know this because at the time I bought my pump online, Pentair was offering an additional $150 rebate. To qualify for both the rebate and full warranty the pump had to be "professionally installed". I called and asked for a definition. I ended up having a local pool service company do the install for just about the $150 rebate. So that was a wash, but I did get the full three year warranty and it was still much cheaper to buy online and pay them to install than buy it locally. If you have any doubt about the warranty issue you can call Pentair before you purchase the pump. I have found them to be very helpful anytime I've had contact. You should also see if your power company will give you a rebate on a VS pump.

I would also suggest that you purchase and install the specialized couplings on each side of the pump. They run $25-35 and are designed to seal against the body of the pump with an O-ring. They make the install much easier and insure that the pump to plumbing seal is leakproof. Lastly you should purchase and install a whole house type surge protector to protect the delicate electronic controller in the pump.

Here is a source for the pump $850, couplings $27.50 and a surge protector $62.50, all with free shipping.

Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Variable Speed Swimming Pool Pump - Swimming Pool Supplies, Parts, and more - Backyard Pool Superstore

The surge protector I have at my pool sub panel only cost $25 and was a easy install. You can find that one on Amazon here.
Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

I wanted to ask you guys one more question about my filter and wasnt sure if I should start a new thread.

I have a Hayward S220T sand filter. The pool company that quoted the pump replacement told me it is way too small for my pool and my Ecostar pump let alone a similar VSP. Should I look at swapping that out for a larger filter? It seems to work OK for us. Water is clear enough that I can easily see across the 40ft length when underwater with a mask on. I had a few issues with cloudiness off and on but I think that was a water balance and/or massive pollen season issue.

My experience is that my filter works much better with my new VS pump. I run the pump for several extra hours each day at a very low (1000 rpm) speed. This uses very little power (100 watts) and provides lots of extra filtration. Lower pressures at the filter seems to allow it to even filter better. It doesn't force the dirt through the filter.

Sounds small, but if you are satisfied with both the level of filtration and how often you need to backwash, I don't see a problem. The biggest advantage to the larger filter would be less frequent backwash needed.

+1 to running the pump at low RPM. During busy tree season, spring and fall, I run my pump 24x7 at 1100rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run it 24x7. I would wait to replace the filter until after you see how it performs with the new pump.

If you've done landscape plumbing or any plumbing with PVC then you are all set, it is all the same.

The couplings do not come with the pump, they need to be ordered separately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I got a coupon for Leslies and found out they were running an install special on VSP's for $99. Ended up buying a new Pentair Supermax VSP 1.5hp model. Has a 3 yr warranty through Pentair and Leslie tacks on 2 more years for them for 5 total. We also have a $300 rebate running through our electricity provider. Ran me $960 total so will be $660 after the rebate.

I know the mgr at Leslie's and he's been a pretty straight up guy. He doesnt push the nonsense and could care less if I use bleach or anything else for chlorine. He is actually leaving the company after being there 6 years due to some of the things they like to push (he's going to a commercial pool supply house). He agreed with everyone here the filter is just fine. He said if it ever breaks down or needs replaced I may consider a larger model but use it until it breaks.

Appreciate the help here as always.

You're going to love the VSP, even more so for less than $700 installed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Any good instructions on how to install the surge protection listed on the Amazon link. I am interested in just protecting the two 30 amp breakers.

Pentair will give you a full three year warranty provided your pump is "professionally installed". So if you mail in the warranty card along with a receipt for install from an electrician, plumber or pool company you can get the full warranty. If you know someone who owes you a favor you might ask them to give you a hand (and a receipt) for a few cold ones and a few bucks.

I know this because at the time I bought my pump online, Pentair was offering an additional $150 rebate. To qualify for both the rebate and full warranty the pump had to be "professionally installed". I called and asked for a definition. I ended up having a local pool service company do the install for just about the $150 rebate. So that was a wash, but I did get the full three year warranty and it was still much cheaper to buy online and pay them to install than buy it locally. If you have any doubt about the warranty issue you can call Pentair before you purchase the pump. I have found them to be very helpful anytime I've had contact. You should also see if your power company will give you a rebate on a VS pump.

I would also suggest that you purchase and install the specialized couplings on each side of the pump. They run $25-35 and are designed to seal against the body of the pump with an O-ring. They make the install much easier and insure that the pump to plumbing seal is leakproof. Lastly you should purchase and install a whole house type surge protector to protect the delicate electronic controller in the pump.

Here is a source for the pump $850, couplings $27.50 and a surge protector $62.50, all with free shipping.

Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Variable Speed Swimming Pool Pump - Swimming Pool Supplies, Parts, and more - Backyard Pool Superstore

The surge protector I have at my pool sub panel only cost $25 and was a easy install. You can find that one on Amazon here.
Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

Normally, first choice is wiring to an open (unused) breaker in the sub panel, alternately you can wire to the one that feeds the pump. Or what I did, shut down the feed to the sub panel, back at the main panel, then connect it to the feed coming into the sub panel from the main panel. That puts it before everything in the pool sub panel.

I think I got. Lets say I wire to the 2 - 30 amp breakers for the pump. Each black wire (one wire go to one breaker) from the surge goes to the breaker. Then white goes to the common bus.

Normally, first choice is wiring to an open (unused) breaker in the sub panel, alternately you can wire to the one that feeds the pump. Or what I did, shut down the feed to the sub panel, back at the main panel, then connect it to the feed coming into the sub panel from the main panel. That puts it before everything in the pool sub panel.

BUT, before you make that 220/240 volt sound easy one thing to always remember is that if you don't have a breaker or switch that's dual pole you can turn off the equipment but still have a "hot" leg that can bite you.
If you use a single pole switch you break the circuit but it's hot from both directions all the time even though the switch and equipment is off.

I could also tell you about the PO of my house who chose to use a green for hot in a 120 leg and turned my side cutters into a wire stripper with the arched out V in the jaw, but I digress. You can never be too careful.

BUT, before you make that 220/240 volt sound easy one thing to always remember is that if you don't have a breaker or switch that's dual pole you can turn off the equipment but still have a "hot" leg that can bite you.
If you use a single pole switch you break the circuit but it's hot from both directions all the time even though the switch and equipment is off.

I could also tell you about the PO of my house who chose to use a green for hot in a 120 leg and turned my side cutters into a wire stripper with the arched out V in the jaw, but I digress. You can never be too careful.

I know its not an electric form but I ask anyways. I have 2 30 amp breakers. The breakers are not tied to each other with the metal/plastic strip. Each breaker can be switched on their own. When my pump is running, if I turn one of the breakers off, my pump would stop. Does that mean I have dual pole?

Yes. With one of the hot leads disconnected, you have zero volts across the motor terminals. The hot leads reference each other to develop the 220 volts. The hot leads are 180 degrees out of phase with each other and do a push pull effect to develop the voltage.

Back to the surge protector... Yes, two black wires and one white. One black goes to each side of the 220 and the white to the common bus.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.