Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help for my heater please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help for my heater please

Folks,

Just when I need it most (wrenched my back today) my spa heater wont light. It's an almost new jandy jxi 260N. I installed it myself but had the electrical done by a licensed electrician. Natural gas was already run to the pad. It's worked fine every time we used it (about 10 times) and this morning it started like normal. First the blower kicks on then after about a minute it normally lights. Instead, I get this loud buzzing sound. It goes for a couple of seconds then stops -blower keeps running. Then the buzz starts again and the cycle repeats. Unit ran fine last night! Sounds like a relay or solenoid is buzzing to me but I don't know anything about pool heaters. If it's something simple I'll try to fix it otherwise I guess I'll call Jandy for warranty support.

Any ideas?

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help for my heater please

Any codes or LED flashes? See if this is correct manual for your heater, troubleshooting near page 33. The buzzing might be igniter trying to start it.

http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/...h/h0404700.pdf
    Last edited by banditig; 02-01-2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: forgot link
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the same manual I have. Now that I think about it I got a vent fuse link error last night but turned it off then on and it worked fine. No error now but I only let it cycle through 2 cycles. I'll see if I get the error again and then it appears that's possibly a connection error in the fusable link. I'll follow that trail and update later today.

Thanks!

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a member here (pool clown I think) that works on them. Hopefully he will see this

5. Back To Top    #5

Bandit,

Problem Solved!!

Thanks so much for your help. I finally did get an error message "Check Ignition Steps" and found a document on the site you linked me to that gave a list of corrective actions. One was to check for air flow, and air tubing connections around the vent pressure switch. This switch checks pressure delta's through the system to determine that there is good air flow to prevent igniting an explosive gas mixture. All the tubing and air flow checked out correct so I started checking electrical connections to the air flow switch... Bingo!! One of them must have been slightly corroded. I spent years dealing with corroded wires in my sailing days so I've got a LOT of different ways to address this and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks so much for your help!!! This site is indeed fortunate to have people like you that help us newbies along.

Best regards,

Chris
    -Chris-

6. Back To Top    #6

Very good!