Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time Spa testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarksburg, WV

First time Spa testing

So i've converted my neighbor to TFP and he just got a hottub and wants to try and use the same principles in it.

I'm tying to help him and I'm telling him how i take care of my pool and to do that same for the hot tub. But i'm not sure if thats exactly it?

Should we shoot for the same 30cya - 5fc - 7.5ph like the pool? I know TA is super important in a hot tub. What should it be? I've read around 50.

Any help would be appreciated....
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: First time Spa testing

Hi Kris. As you know a pool and hot tub are similar but different animals. So while it does mostly require the same things it does need to be adjusted a bit. As such there is a sticky about using chlorine in a hot tub, right here: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

There is also one for bromine if he decides to go that route instead: How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said ∆

Generally you want 50-70 TA, it should be low enough to prevent the pH rising from aeration from jets. That and clean your filters every few weeks.
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

The how to use chlorine method works great. Been using it for over 2 years now and we are very happy with it. Bacteria grows faster in hot water and chlorine gets used faster. The key is to learn the tub's usage pattern. Keep testing FC after using the tub until FC holds and then add enough to stay above 0 until the next time you plan to test and add bleach again.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach