New Pool Project

Jan 3, 2016
Mesa, Az
Planning has begun for a new pool project! The actual build won't begin until July, but it's never too soon to get the details hammered out.

I'll begin with the site, the design, and an equipment list provided by the pool builder. This will be happening while I am living/working in another state, so getting the right people involved is even more critical than usual. The site is locked in :), but feel free to comment on anything else!

There are a few changes already. The bench wall and wok pots are being deleted as I want to look toward the wash, not the house. I think the wall will impede the view as well. I want to have returns on the spa-spill so the water doesn't spill out onto the deck. In lieu of the wok pots, I want the two pedestals moved to the spa-spill returns and instead of pots, a LED laminar jet on each pedestal. The rendering does not show the view fence and the sketch and rendering are 180 degrees turned from each other. Equipment list to follow.

Pool equipment
Automatic water leveler
Hayward Ecostar VS pump
Hayward 430 SF cart. filter
1 aerator
1 400 W clear light
Automatic pool timer
Paramount PV3 in-floor cleaning (22 heads)
Mini-pebble finish

Spa
Hayward 400K heater - nat gas
Hayward Tristar pump - 2HP
9 jets
Blower for bubbles
Hayward clear spa light

Pavers - Travertine

Pool is 20'W x 30"L
11' x 11' baja deck 18" deep
3 - 4 - 5.5 Depth
Spa is 6' x 8' interior dim. 3.5 feet deep

App Vol <15K gal

My take on the equipment...Keep in mind I'm not a Hayward guy but it still applies.

Filter - Hayward makes a 525 sq ft model (C5030), Get the largest filter possible. It means less cleaning and better efficiency

Light - There is no reason to install an incandescent light anymore. Go with at least 2 color LED lights in the pool and 1 or 2 ColorLogic lights in the reef area. You cant have enough light

Timer - Look into an automation system, especially with a spa, color changing lights and multiple pumps...Well worth the investment

In Floor Cleaning - Not worth the expense in my opinion. Use the savings for a robotic cleaner and automation

No need for the dedicated spa pump, your 3HP main pump is sufficient to run the spa but not with 9 jets. You can get away with 6-7 jets with 3" plumbing to/from the spa. However, I would still HIGHLY recommend a second pump for your water features. I prefer variable speed pumps for this application because they allow you to fine tune the flow to your needs. If you want more than 7 spa jets, consider an additional booster pump (bring your total to 3).

No need for a blower with a properly plumbed hartford loop in the spa

Spa light - color LED as well

Brian, Thanks for your feedback . . .

My take on the equipment...Keep in mind I'm not a Hayward guy but it still applies.

Pool builder uses Hayward exclusively. I don't have enough experience to have a preference. Reviews are pro and con for both Hayward and Pentair.

Filter - Hayward makes a 525 sq ft model (C5030), Get the largest filter possible. It means less cleaning and better efficiency

I know size matters is a cartidge filter mantra around here. I'll look into the price difference. I'm already at least $5K over my expectation when designing this.

Light - There is no reason to install an incandescent light anymore. Go with at least 2 color LED lights in the pool and 1 or 2 ColorLogic lights in the reef area. You cant have enough light

Agree on the color changing LED lights, have to make the budget work with them. I'm surprised how much they cost over conventional.

Timer - Look into an automation system, especially with a spa, color changing lights and multiple pumps...Well worth the investment

I'm not certain what he's referring to with automatic pool timer, something really basic like the built-in pump control menu or something more like Pro Logic

In Floor Cleaning - Not worth the expense in my opinion. Use the savings for a robotic cleaner and automation

I know in-floor isn't a favorite here but I won't be living there for two - three years and I cant have a rover all notted up and doing circles between visits by the maintenance person.

No need for the dedicated spa pump, your 3HP main pump is sufficient to run the spa but not with 9 jets. You can get away with 6-7 jets with 3" plumbing to/from the spa. However, I would still HIGHLY recommend a second pump for your water features. I prefer variable speed pumps for this application because they allow you to fine tune the flow to your needs. If you want more than 7 spa jets, consider an additional booster pump (bring your total to 3).

I have no experience / expertise in this area so I'll defer to your knowledge in this area.

No need for a blower with a properly plumbed hartford loop in the spa

Spa light - color LED as well

Agree. see above in re: budget . . .

​Again, thanks for your input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.