SWG installed backwards?

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
I've been having trouble with my Jandy 1400 SWG not showing up on my PDA at times. Today I cleaned the sensor up a little and while tinkering I noticed the flow sticker on the cell and the flow stickers on my plumbing contradict. Since the cell comes after my heater I know that's the return.

My question is. It's been like this since before we bought the house 2 years ago. Is direction that important since it's just water passing over plates being charged with electricity?

I'd turn it around but the power cable doesn't have enough slack in it to do it without cutting out all the zipties for the wiring bundle and re-doing it.

Normally if the cell is installed such that the flow sensor is backwards, then the flow sensor will not work and the cell will not produce chlorine as no flow will be detected. If your cell is generating chlorine when the flow sensor is backwards then that might suggest your flow sensor is not working correctly and a very important fail-safe is not working. That's a dangerous condition to be in because it means, with some other failures, that your cell could power on with no or little flow.

You should cut the zip ties, properly orient the cell according to the correct flow and then insure that the flow switch is working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

How would the flow sensor be in backwards? It's notched in a specific way to fit in the port.

Some SWGs have a flow sensor separate from the cell. If the Jandy is integrated like my Pentair is, then the SWG will not work if the flow direction sticker on the cell is not oriented with the water flow direction in the pipe. The flow sensor is unidirectional, it should only close the electrical switch if water is flowing the right way.

Perhaps you can post a picture as that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Some SWGs have a flow sensor separate from the cell. If the Jandy is integrated like my Pentair is, then the SWG will not work if it is installed opposite from the water flow. The flow sensor is unidirectional, it should only close the electrical switch if water is flowing the right way.

Perhaps you can post a picture as that would help.

It's basically this:

Amazon.com : Zodiac PLC1400 14 Blade 3-Port PureLink Cell Kit with 2-Inch to 2.5-Inch PVC Universal Unions and 16-Feet Cables : Swimming Pool Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

There are 3 ports on the cell. One of them (the one on the bottom of the cell and not on and end) is where my sensor is located.

The AquaPure does not use a flow switch. It uses a heated and unheated temperature probe to sense flow. It will work in either direction. However, the preferred direction is with the trisensor closest to the incoming water port.

The heated and unheated temperature probes are both in the trisensor. There is a temperature differential between the two probes. When water flows, the temperature differential changes or it takes more power to keep the heated probe at a constant differential to the unheated probe.

The heated and unheated temperature probes are both in the trisensor. There is a temperature differential between the two probes. When water flows, the temperature differential changes or it takes more power to keep the heated probe at a constant differential to the unheated probe.

Well I'll leave it until a new cell is needed I guess.

It would have made more sense for that third port (where the trisensor is) to be in the center so flow didn't matter, but I guess it might be hard to put it there with the plates in the middle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.