Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum hose gets pulled inside skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum hose gets pulled inside skimmer

Hi,
    I have an unusual problem. Pool vacuum hose gets inside the skimmer and the motor makes loud noise. I need to get in there few times a day to push the hose away from the skimmer. I tried removing one link from the hose and that did not help. I tried the wait also, doesn't do a thing. The wait is $18.00, no good use of it. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum hose gets pulled inside skimmer

Hi! Too bad the weight did not help Can you take a picture of what your set up looks like? You can use photo bucket or such to post the pic.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Are you saying you set the hose end into the suction port inside the skimmer while you're vacuuming and it gets drawn in?

If so, break out a tape measure and then go browse the plumbing aisle at the nearest hardware store. I made this out of a slip/threaded adaptor and a bathroom sink tailpiece. The thick piece sits inside the suction port but it's too wide to get sucked inside. Since then the tailpiece has broken and I discovered that the hose collar can be rammed into the threaded end of the adaptor and it works just fine.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. No, it is a regular automatic pool vacuum running at the bottom of the pool whenever the motor runs. The hose gets drawn into to the skimmer basket. I will post a picture of the problem soon and it will be clear what I am talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

Are you saying you set the hose end into the suction port inside the skimmer while you're vacuuming and it gets drawn in?

If so, break out a tape measure and then go browse the plumbing aisle at the nearest hardware store. I made this out of a slip/threaded adaptor and a bathroom sink tailpiece. The thick piece sits inside the suction port but it's too wide to get sucked inside. Since then the tailpiece has broken and I discovered that the hose collar can be rammed into the threaded end of the adaptor and it works just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah may be I can double the wait. I will post a picture. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do you have an AG pool or an IG pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help everyone. Please see the image, you will know what I am talking about.IMG_0636.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Some site sell what are called "skimmer guards" to help keep some things from getting drawn into the opening. For me personally, I made THIS ONE because our friends would get too close to the opening and cut-off water to the pump.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, this is what I was looking for. I am going to build the one you have built. Going to be a good weekend project!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Some site sell what are called "skimmer guards" to help keep some things from getting drawn into the opening. For me personally, I made THIS ONE because our friends would get too close to the opening and cut-off water to the pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would close in the big side in the pool some to make sure the hose cannot fit in it.

NICE job on find a way to keep your poor pump safe.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit