plastic coping/Tile trim strip

Sep 18, 2008
I have concrete coping which our builder put in with polystyrene forms (Stegmeier). Unfortunately, he used the white plastic tile strip, which I later found out isn't necessary. It's a little while plastic trim cap that sits over the top of the tile (1/4 inch tall) and is bedded in the concrete. Aside from looking terrible sitting in between slate colored tile and brown concrete, it has started to stick out at the corners and is sharp.

I'd like to cut the strip out and wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Once it's cut out I'm guessing that I will need to refinish the interface between the tile and coping possibly with grout and maybe even some type of trim strip. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with this and might have a few suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I know what you're talking about but have never used the product. That might be difficult to get a response here since stegemeir forms are primarily used by builders.....we don't have enough builders who contribute regularly.

If you don't get an answer this weekend, I think call Stegemeir and discussing with them might be your best option.

MichaelCombs - what was the outcome of your plastic strip removal, etc? About 4-5ft of the vertical face of my plastic strip has come off, leaving the embedded part in between the tile and the concrete. I really want to remove all of it but would like to first know about your solution. Thanks!

I know exactly what you are talking about. Right after our deck was poured, I was livid to find out they really botched the white strip everywhere. I had looked at many pools and never even realized they had the white strip because they were done properly. But on our pool, it was noticable. I used my box cutter out and cut it out. Then I had the PB grout it. Unfortunately, they went a little wild with the grout and covered a good bit of tile. After bugging the heck out of them, they finally removed some of the grout, but I still plan to remove more.

Just look at what a crappy job they did.

[attachment=0:1uxlkgca]P8302991 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1uxlkgca]
[attachment=1:1uxlkgca]P8302993 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1uxlkgca]

Attachments

• P8302993 (Large).JPG
    P8302993 (Large).JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 182
  • P8302991 (Large).JPG
    P8302991 (Large).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 153
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.