Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plastic coping/Tile trim strip

1. Back To Top    #1

plastic coping/Tile trim strip

I have concrete coping which our builder put in with polystyrene forms (Stegmeier). Unfortunately, he used the white plastic tile strip, which I later found out isn't necessary. It's a little while plastic trim cap that sits over the top of the tile (1/4 inch tall) and is bedded in the concrete. Aside from looking terrible sitting in between slate colored tile and brown concrete, it has started to stick out at the corners and is sharp.

I'd like to cut the strip out and wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Once it's cut out I'm guessing that I will need to refinish the interface between the tile and coping possibly with grout and maybe even some type of trim strip. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with this and might have a few suggestions.

Thanks.
    25K plaster, 1 HP Hayward TriStar, 31" sand filter, Mastertemp 400K HD heater, Compupool 40K SWG, peristaltic acid pump, DIY Arduino/Linux Automation, Nitro Wall Scrubber robot

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: plastic coping/Tile trim strip

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I know what you're talking about but have never used the product. That might be difficult to get a response here since stegemeir forms are primarily used by builders.....we don't have enough builders who contribute regularly.

If you don't get an answer this weekend, I think call Stegemeir and discussing with them might be your best option.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave. I appreciate it.
    25K plaster, 1 HP Hayward TriStar, 31" sand filter, Mastertemp 400K HD heater, Compupool 40K SWG, peristaltic acid pump, DIY Arduino/Linux Automation, Nitro Wall Scrubber robot

4. Back To Top    #4

MichaelCombs - what was the outcome of your plastic strip removal, etc? About 4-5ft of the vertical face of my plastic strip has come off, leaving the embedded part in between the tile and the concrete. I really want to remove all of it but would like to first know about your solution. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

I know exactly what you are talking about. Right after our deck was poured, I was livid to find out they really botched the white strip everywhere. I had looked at many pools and never even realized they had the white strip because they were done properly. But on our pool, it was noticable. I used my box cutter out and cut it out. Then I had the PB grout it. Unfortunately, they went a little wild with the grout and covered a good bit of tile. After bugging the heck out of them, they finally removed some of the grout, but I still plan to remove more.

Just look at what a crappy job they did.

[attachment=0:1uxlkgca]P8302991 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1uxlkgca]
    [attachment=1:1uxlkgca]P8302993 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1uxlkgca]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry about digging up and old thread. My pool has the same problem. The white plastic strip between the tile and the cement is coming off and a lot of it is missing. Can that strip be replaced or should I replace it with something else? Thanks
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit