Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just joined from Macclenny Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

Just joined from Macclenny Florida

Just retired from the Navy, and bought a house outside Jacksonville Fl. Being a previous pool owner, I have some experience however far far from giving anyone any advice. My new pool is not the normal pool. It was built by an electrical engineer who worked with Georgia Pacific. It is 40 Ft long,And just over 20 feet wide. It has a 12 foot deep end and I estimate it holds around 47K in water. Two skimmers, two bottom drains in the deep end, and 24 jets. In the back I have a 2 hp generic motor and a 24 inch around jacuzzi sand filter. I believe someone changed the power equipment after he passed away, because it's very underpowered. I will start a new thread asking lots of questions.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just joined from Macclenny Florida

HI! Another FL person! We are getting close to TX! That is a pretty pool (even if it is upside down LOL)!

12 foot deep????? I hope you like to scuba dive!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Nice pool! Congrats on retirement.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

First picture I put up and it's upside down....well...par for the course.

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha! Welcome!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxcmc View Post
    First picture I put up and it's upside down....well...par for the course.
    We have NO idea how or why that happens BUT it does. IT is STILL trying to figure out why! Don't feel alone!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

How does the water stay in the pool upside down like that? 12' deep end? I have diving envy. Welcome to TFP, and thanks for your service my military brother - 21.3 years myself.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

In your other thread, you indicate you have a 3 HP motor but you say a 2 HP in this one???? (I have a reason for asking)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought a Pentair Whisperflo XP 2 speed 3HP pump. It is not installed as of yet. I assumed it had a switch to go from lo to hi...but it doesn't, so that prompted my first of what I feel will be many questions.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If you can swing it, you need a larger filter........that will do more to keep your pool clear than the pump will. at least a 30" filter and a 36" filter would be even better.

The two-speed pump will do just fine but it is a bit too big. A 2 hp 2-speed would have been more energy efficient.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    If you can swing it, you need a larger filter........that will do more to keep your pool clear than the pump will. at least a 30" filter and a 36" filter would be even better.

The two-speed pump will do just fine but it is a bit too big. A 2 hp 2-speed would have been more energy efficient.
    I bought a Hayward 36" around filter that holds 700lbs of sand. I have 24 jets and I could only run 1 set with just one skimmer with the 2hp rig. I may have over compensated, but wanted to get more circulation. I wised I would have joined before I started buying stuff....

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

That's OK that big pump will do just fine.....you'll probably keep it on low 80% of the time. The filter is perfect.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Too much pump???

In my continuing education on pools, another question ( you guys are going to get sick of me)

OK the pool supply store in Jacksonville told me if I use the 3HP pump even with an xtra large filter I will split the filter in half. Needless to say, this concerned me. Even though I have listed my pool info on another thread I will relist here to help the pros (you guys) tell me what you think

47,000gal rectangle pool (40x20) 12 foot deep end.
    24 jets
    2 skimmers ( 75 feet from pumping station)
    2 bottom drains in deep end
    2 vacuum connections
    Before I found this site I purchased the following equipment

Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter
    36" Tank Includes 2" Top Mount Vari-Flo Valve | S360T2

Pentair WhisperFloXF 3HP Energy Efficient
    2-Speed Pool Pump 208V 230V XFDS-12 | 022008

The system that was on their when I bought the house was a generic 2hp pump and a 24 inch around sand filter. I could not operate but just 1 bank of jets and 1 skimmer to get any circulation, seemed very underpowered. Thought I figured out all the math...any thoughts???

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Too much pump???

No pool pump will split the filter in half. Either they are exaggerating for effect or they don't know what they are talking about. A 3hp pump will pump a LOT of water. I never run my 3hp VS pump at full speed, the amount of water flow is pretty crazy. I would take a look at getting a VS pump, having total control over the amount of water flow is really great.

3hp, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018
    1-1/2hp, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

More info here on updating your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm not sure about "split the filter in half" but I do agree that 3HP is probably overkill. I am far from a pump expert, so I will leave the details to those who are. I will just say that the common theme around here is that people try to buy too large a pump and too small a filter.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome and thank you so much for your service.

I find it hilarious the garbage pool stores will come up with to scare customers into doing what they want. That, *split your filter* is a new one.

Hope you enjoy TFP. Love your pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

Just wanted to say thanks for the great advise. I finished my rebuild (finally)... The 36" filter is perfect. The pumping station didn't turn out like it was originally planned due to height issue with the pump and the original water supply pipes...however it's working great, and pushes all 24 jets with no problems....now on the pool school!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    47k, 40x20 IG plaster,SWG, 24 jets, 3HP Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed,Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter36" Tank S360T2 TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow! That looks like some kind of commercial pump station or something. But at 47K, I guess you need it. Very clean looking. Well done.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!