Failed electrical inspection

The distance from the pool to the outlet is controversial. I think the PB and the electrical contractor (and gwegan, above) thought the distance was from 5-20ft, which I think is satisfied by an outlet that is on the side of the pool equipment control box (I haven't measured the distance but it's right around 20' away from the pool). What the electrical contractor told me was that the inspector wanted it from 5-10' away. I didn't argue... free socket

The NEC points out the distance of this recepticle

680.22 says "(3) Dwelling Unit(s). At a dwelling unit, one 15A or 20A, 125V receptacle shall be located not less than 10 ft and not more than 20 ft from the water."

But, if you keep readin it says later "4) Restricted Space. Where a pool, outdoor spa or hot tub is within 10 ft of a dwelling, the receptacle required by (3) shall be permitted to be installed not less than 5 ft measured horizontally from the inside wall of the water."

******On Edit*********

If was correctly pointed out to me that the 2014 code which has been adopted in many areas changed this area of the code. In the 2014 NEC it now says:

680.22 (A) Receptacles.
(1) Required Receptacle Location. One 15A or 20A, 125V receptacle must be located not less than 6 ft and not more than 20 ft from the inside wall of a permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot
tub. This receptacle must be located not more than 6½ ft above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub.

Texas adopted the 2014 NEC in September 2015 with local changes allowed, but other jurisdictions may not have adopted the latest version or in fact may have made changes to it. Always check with your Authority Having Jurisdiction (building department) about what code is in force and if there are local modifications to the National Code.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.