New house with a pool

Triden

Jan 26, 2016
Parker, TX
Just closed on a new house that has a pool. Here is what I have learned so far about it. The previous homeowners left very little information about it.

Inground, free form gunite pool that has been estimated at 15000 gallons built around 2001. Hayward SWG, Pentair DE filter (FNSP60), filter was replaced Jan 2015, the gas heater Sept 2015.

The pool appears to be in pretty clean condition, just some leaves and other debris have blown in.

I just received my TF-100 test kit.
0 Chlorine, 7.8 pH
Chlorine drop test stayed clear, directions said that means no Chlorine.
CH 250 ppm
TA 30
CYA 40
Salt 1600 ppm

I've been reading the pool schools docs, but have a question on which chemical I should add first? I'm guessing chlorine first. And how much should I add for 15k gallons?

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Start here for how to manage your water, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This will help you add your pool info to your signature for future reference, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Yes, chlorine first. I use plain concentrated bleach from Kroger, store brand, during the winter. Chlorine level is set based on your CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep it above minimum and try to keep it at target. More on that in the ABCs. Also, use Poolmath to calculate how kuch bleach to add.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Absolutely read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....understanding that one article will help you immensely.

Yeah, put about 6 ppm chlorine in to keep the pool clear

Does the pool have an SWG? If so, that salt is too low.

TA is suspiciously low.....could be a testing error. Try it again and be sure to get to the endpoint where the last drop makes NO further colorchange.

Hi,
And welcome to TFP!

here is a link to pool math. This is the tool we use to determine how much of something to add.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

As a note on the salt level...
Most SWGs stop producing chlorine with water temp below about 55F. Its a chemistry thing and Im sure you might read more about it in the future. Anyways, no need to worry about the salt level for now. Once the water gets above 55 constantly and the warmer weather comes around, then it will be time to get your salt level back up and start using the SWG for your chlorine source.

For now, just use liquid chlorine...

hope this helps,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.