Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wire mesh vacuum breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

wire mesh vacuum breaker

Today I got a vacuum relief valve for my in-progress solar panel build. It didn't look like something I would expect. I'm used to float type of vacuum breakers used in hydronic heating systems, irrigations, etc.

When there is incoming water in the system it bleeds the air first and then water lifts the floater and seals the valve. When there is no pressure, the floater drops, opening the valve.

This one seems to be made out of mesh wire with a little thing sticking right in the middle (see the pic). Looking at the other side of the plug it seems that it has about an inch of wire mesh held in place with some plastic. That's it.

It seems to be air tight blowing into the tube and it allows some air very-very slowly when trying to suck the air out of it. I'm curious about how it works and what that mesh is for in particular. But I can't seem to find anything on this type on internet. I'm also somewhat concern how little air it lets in when it's supposed to be open. Maybe under normal condition it would work ok, but I can't really test it much at this point...

[IMG][/IMG]
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: wire mesh vacuum breaker

I've never seen one like that. Do you have a mfg and model number on it? We may be able to look at the patent for it.

Also, can you post a pic of the other side of it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine looks like that and has worked great for 3 years. Strange looking gadget, I agree.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no model number, just a serial number. It's sold here

Pictures:

26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

5. Back To Top    #5

It was made by Aquatherm, but now it appears to be made by Elm distribution. The model number is 10003-2.

I'm not sure how it works, but apparently it does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit