Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair FNS 60 Drain Plug Leaking - Suggestions Requested

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair FNS 60 Drain Plug Leaking - Suggestions Requested

I just opened and cleaned the Pentair FNS 60 DE filter. I removed and reinstalled the bottom drain plug to clean the filter. I put some teflon tape on the plug threads. Reassembled the filter. Loaded the new DE. Now I found out I have a drip out of the bottom plug.I tried tightening but it is still dripping. Any suggestions? If I drain the water to remove the plug and put dope on it, do I have to backwash and replace the DE again?
    Finished December 5, 2015. 26,000 gals IG pool w/ 7 ft. dia. Spa, WetEdge Plaster, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo pump for 5 Scuppers. Cleaner booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, FNS 60 DE filter, Pentair Racer, 3 Intellibrite LED's, StaRite Max-e-Therm 400k heater, Stenner chlorine metering pump, FloVis flow meter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pentair FNS 60 Drain Plug Leaking - Suggestions Requested

I have a Hayward DE filter and I'm pretty sure my drain plug has an O-ring sealing it.

Draining it through the drain plug won't remove all of the DE, but the problem is you won't know how much you lost. So how would you know what to add unless you backwash and refill (80% of the labeled charge). Check for an O-ring on the drain plug, if there is one, adding Teflon tape is what made it leak.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So, I should not add teflon tape? Or thread dope even? Just rely on the O-ring? Kind of makes sense. I was getting ready to do the backwash tomorrow and was planning on applying the thread sealant...
    Finished December 5, 2015. 26,000 gals IG pool w/ 7 ft. dia. Spa, WetEdge Plaster, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo pump for 5 Scuppers. Cleaner booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, FNS 60 DE filter, Pentair Racer, 3 Intellibrite LED's, StaRite Max-e-Therm 400k heater, Stenner chlorine metering pump, FloVis flow meter.

4. Back To Top    #4

As the chief said, no t-tape and check the oring. They get old and dried out over time and can easily break apart and fall off when you open the plug. Not seeing it makes you think there's nothing there and then, viola!, you have drip.

Same thing happens on the pump drain plugs. The orings get forgotten about and you spring a leak.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advise. I will be backwashing today.

6. Back To Top    #6

I backwashed the filter and removed the drain plug. I removed all the teflon tape. I also removed the o-ring, applied silicon to it and placed it back on the plug. I reinstalled the plug and it sealed perfectly. Thanks to Chief and JoyfulNoise for their advise !!!