New pool owner in San diego

Pueblo

Jan 30, 2016
San Diego, ca
Hey everyone,
i just bought a house that has a pool. What can I do myself and what do I need professionals for? I have a good grip on chemistry so I'm hoping I can figure out the chemical part. My pool is in ground and has a spa too. The filter and lights are operational but I'm not sure how long it's been since a checkup.

the previous owner left some stuff but I'd like to get a vacuum.... but I don't know where to start. Also, the pool only has solar heating panels and it's not sufficient heating year round. What are the best options for installing a heater for the spa? Cost? Timeframe of job?

if anyone is in east San Diego county, please refer me to your favorite pool expert.

thank you!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :Wave: What can you do? ... EVERYTHING! That's what is so great about TFP. Please start at our Pool School page and read the ABCs of pool chemistry. Just a few minutes to get reacquainted with TFP basics. From there, we can help you move forward. Also, make sure you have the right test kit. I would recommend the TF-100 (link in my sig below). Well worth the money and it will pay for itself in accuracy. Post back with any specific questions, and don't forget to updated your signature with all of your pool info. Welcome!

HI! We are own favorite pool expert! We know all there is to know about a pool between all of the wonderful members here at TFP! Ask a question and SOMEONE will know the answer!

I want to get you off to the right start so here we go:

1. order a good test kit! Look in my siggy for the one we use and love. There is no other way to really take care of your pool on your own.

2. post your pool's info in your siggy (settings-upper right hand side, edit signature-left side). I will post a link to help you id your equipment

3. read the following links and ask questions-no matter how small ask.

Here is your number one link-the hows and whys of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It is a lot to read and will take several reads for it to sink in. Take it a bit at a time. Once you get your own test kit you will understand even more.

Here is the link for the equipment:

Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

See if this helps you id your equipment. We can post a picture of your equipment and we can help from that also.

That will get you started!

Kim

Read the stuff they refer you to above. That will help you with general chemistry.

The general consensus is that the best heaters are Raypak. Less parts to screw up and more durable. I suggest you enter "recommenced heaters" in the search box above and you can reach your own conclusion.

Costs vary by location and whats included so much its difficult for anyone on here to give good advice. The best advice is to get three bids.

Finding pool guys. I go to independent pool stores and ask who they recommend. Go to a couple and have some guys out to bid a heater or check up your solar or filter and see what they know and if you like them.

As you may gather the TFP philosophy is top do all the regular maintenance ourselves. So we generally don't know pool services at all. Pool repair people and pool builders yes, pool services no. And the advice we give will NOT BE compatible with the way a pool service maintains your pool. They generally look at your pool once a week, we generally think you need to look at your pool at least every few days. A pool service or pool store will give you advice that may work for them but may not be the best fore the long term health of your pool.

Why do you want a vacuum? In the long run a robot cleaner id less expenditure. A vacuum comes in handy when you are doing major cleaning but you will be much happier with a robot cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.