Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build, First Time Pool Owner out of DFW

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build, First Time Pool Owner out of DFW

This is our first pool build, so I joined this forum and I am encourage to find such an abundance of information. We live in North Texas were there is a bunch of clay, so we had chemical injections done two days ago. Yesterday, we had the gunite shot in the pool. I have taken time lapse photos of most of the project, so when I came home yesterday to review the film I was disappointed to find what appeared, to my unexperienced eye, to be the use of rebound to shape the sun bench, steps and brushed in to the floor of the pool.

I went with a reputable PB in this area with 25 years of experience and they weren't the lowest bid by far. I didn't mind the extra cash because of their reputation and piece of mind that it afforded us. But know I'm not so sure.

I am uploading some pics of the final product, I am still getting the video together that I will upload later for your review. What do you think?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite, New Pool, First Time Pool Owner, Rebound?

Sounds great, and we would love to see it. Nice area NRH, so I imagine this will be a fabulous pool.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay!!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I doubt you will find any shotcrete / gunnite crew that doesn't use rebound. I know my pool builder didn't haul away a pile of dried up rebounded concrete, so where did it go? If it makes you feel any better, the floor and sun shelf are probably 12" thick, so that concrete probably will never crack.

When they shot my pool, they originally made the sun shelf 18" deep... which I caught while they were still working. They had to bring it up to 12" and during that process I saw them shovel some concrete up there. I probably have about 12" -16" of concrete thickness on my shelf. I'm not worried in the least.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a rendering(deck and coping changed to walnut travertine) and some pics I took this morning:

Here is the link to the time lapse video of them shooting the gunite:
    Pool Build Gunite - YouTube

Does this all seem normal to you? I'm probably over thinking it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, it does make me feel more at ease.

5. Back To Top    #5

I love your design! Fits so well in your yard!

Have you been bonding with your pool? aka watering?

Do you have a test kit yet? You are getting real close to needing it. Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

What did you pick for tile and plaster?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Your PB and Gunite crew are separate. They are almost always a sub. There are probably only one or two gunite crews that service your area. Not a lot of choice.

I'm not going to say using rebound is ok because you can just search the forum and find problems with rebound. If its a problem it may take a while to show up. Problems in steps and spa seats are common and of course the floor. Areas where the rebound ends up or have to be shaped. A certain amount will happen no matter what you do.

What is your warranty from the PB? Lifetime? Show him the time lapse and ask for your lifetime warranty to be transferable. Not great but better than nothing.

You can't show any harm now. It may take years for problems to develop if they ever do. What do you want-- jackhammer out and reshoot? And then you will have a cold joint. Not necessarily a problem but is that really better?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! Well I was planning to bond with it today, but someone came to seal the pool with some water base sealant that is suppose to help preventing mold from coming through tile. So PB said i didn't have to water today. So, i just sat a chair outside and drank a beer with my pool. I will pick up a kit next week. We picked pebble sheen blue granite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Your PB and Gunite crew are separate. They are almost always a sub. There are probably only one or two gunite crews that service your area. Not a lot of choice.

I'm not going to say using rebound is ok because you can just search the forum and find problems with rebound. If its a problem it may take a while to show up. Problems in steps and spa seats are common and of course the floor. Areas where the rebound ends up or have to be shaped. A certain amount will happen no matter what you do.

What is your warranty from the PB? Lifetime? Show him the time lapse and ask for your lifetime warranty to be transferable. Not great but better than nothing.

You can't show any harm now. It may take years for problems to develop if they ever do. What do you want-- jackhammer out and reshoot? And then you will have a cold joint. Not necessarily a problem but is that really better?
    The structure warranty from the PB is Lifetime. I don't know much about pools i was just hoping that if anything was done poorly that we can catch and fix it before it was too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    I doubt you will find any shotcrete / gunnite crew that doesn't use rebound. I know my pool builder didn't haul away a pile of dried up rebounded concrete, so where did it go? If it makes you feel any better, the floor and sun shelf are probably 12" thick, so that concrete probably will never crack.

When they shot my pool, they originally made the sun shelf 18" deep... which I caught while they were still working. They had to bring it up to 12" and during that process I saw them shovel some concrete up there. I probably have about 12" -16" of concrete thickness on my shelf. I'm not worried in the least.
    Thanks for the reply it does make me feel at ease.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks normal to me. The plaster will fill in any hokes or uneven places. It will be smooth and beautiful.

9. Back To Top    #9

The Glass Tile has arrived.

18k gal, IG Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Jandy CL460, 2 Variable Speed Pump Jandy-VSPHP270AUT, pool build 1/25/16, A&A In-floor cleaning system, Sanitizer-Nature II-Fusion-Cartridge, Sanitizer-Ozone-Dell-MDV-VSpd., A&A-QuickSkim-Venturi-Skimmer, A&A-LeafVac-Debris-Cannister, Rain-Fall-6ft-White-Custom-Cascade

10. Back To Top    #10

Very pretty.

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow! Nice tile! I get to ooh ahh about your tile before Kim!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Wow! Nice tile! I get to ooh ahh about your tile before Kim!
    LOL only because I had an early night last night!

That IS some pretty tile! I can't wait to see it in the pool with the sun shining on it. It will BLING out for sure!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

We actually looked at that same tile, only in blue! Nice!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

14. Back To Top    #14

Really pretty tile!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Love your design and wish I could fit in the pergola like you have. It would be perfect for my build as well.
    Love the tile!!!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

16. Back To Top    #16

I sent you a PM about your build.

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks beautiful! Please share if it was wet mix or dry, just learning here, from reading threads
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    Looks beautiful! Please share if it was wet mix or dry, just learning here, from reading threads
    I'm not sure, I wasn't home when they set it. I have to look at the time lapse video. There is a bucket with water in it stilll in the pool that appears they were using for the tile. Is there any other way I can tell?
    18k gal, IG Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Jandy CL460, 2 Variable Speed Pump Jandy-VSPHP270AUT, pool build 1/25/16, A&A In-floor cleaning system, Sanitizer-Nature II-Fusion-Cartridge, Sanitizer-Ozone-Dell-MDV-VSpd., A&A-QuickSkim-Venturi-Skimmer, A&A-LeafVac-Debris-Cannister, Rain-Fall-6ft-White-Custom-Cascade

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOL only because I had an early night last night!

That IS some pretty tile! I can't wait to see it in the pool with the sun shining on it. It will BLING out for sure!

Kim
    Thank, hopefully they will be done by Friday and I can post some picks. They are also placing the tile on the sun bench, step and step out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You, my PB has works with some really talented designers. Here is a link to one of the designers website: FARLEY POOL DESIGNS - Mike Farley Pool Designer

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beernut0875 View Post
    I sent you a PM about your build.
    Got it, i hit you back.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    Love your design and wish I could fit in the pergola like you have. It would be perfect for my build as well.
    Love the tile!!!
    thank you my pb works with some good designers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast