Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New equipment in an old construction

1. Back To Top    #1

New equipment in an old construction

New motor and filter was necessary for my 20 years old pool. I had this house and the pool for 2,5 year now - but with water in the pool, only for 2 years - as I repaired the tile joints first...
    Now the filter was too old to get spare parts - the top was broken, the motor the same > too old and noisy..

But underneath my filter it was a hole in the cement, with only gravel and stones
    . And I do not understand why ???
    Can anybody give a good reason for this solution ?
    See picture....

It can also be said that the old filter had come out of level, and had already made some problems conc. broken pipes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New equipment in an old construction

Concrete pad was probably pretty thin, so the vibrations might have cracked it over time. A new concrete pad is a pretty easy project and can be done very cheaply. My suggestion, watch a few youtube videos and make yourself a new pad. Then you can start from scratch with the new equipment.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    Concrete pad was probably pretty thin, so the vibrations might have cracked it over time. A new concrete pad is a pretty easy project and can be done very cheaply. My suggestion, watch a few youtube videos and make yourself a new pad. Then you can start from scratch with the new equipment.
    Well - maybe so....
    But it should not be so much vibrations on the filter....
    The motor was still on its own place - with no crack of the concrete pad...... And the motor should have more vibrations (??)

BUT YOUR ADVICE, AS WELL AS I UNDERSTAND, IS THAT THE FILTER SHOULD STAND CONCRETE PAD ?????

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition, if you're not comfortable with doing your own concrete pad, they make pre-fab pads made of composite material that will support a pump and filter. You can see mine in the "My pool" link from my sig. Just a thought. Regardless, that original set-up of yours looked extremely thin. Not surprised it finally gave out. Best of luck to you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I followed your recommendations ... I bought some very thick tiles / concrete slabs and filled the hole with concrete - while I also leveled the former concrete. So now I am going to assemble a new filter and motor > and trying to get all the tubes to fit .. Thank you for advice ...IMG_20160204_194345.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice work! That looks so much better! Good luck on the equipment and such! It will all be worth it when you are done.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Everthing finished - except the pool isn't fill up yet. 60.000 l takes time with low pressure and thin tube...
    Every 90 degrees is made by 2x 45 degrees... I hate "hard" 90 degrees.
    New ground, new motor, new sand filter with new sand, new shuttlevalve, new water taps and new pipes.
    Hope everything works when the water is filled up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Lets hope it works as good as it looks! When do you think it will be full? Have you been adding any bleach while it fills?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Nearly everything works fine.... Except for the nozzles (/jets?) nearly blowing out, and the pressure became a little bit too high. I think the new pump was a "little bit" stronger than the old one, (the old one has no readable text). I take away the the nozzles > if you think theese are nessesary, I can make the outlet hole in it bigger....
    And the new motor became very warm > more than 60 celcius degrees ... I made a complaint to the distributer, but everything was ok... Then I found out the the voltage in my house was 252 volt (>up to 263 v i has mesured!) . Now i'm awaiting that the electricity-company will do something before I start using it... I live in Spain - Manjana manjana........

10. Back To Top    #10

If they don't ask an electrician there about getting a buck/boost transformer
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~