DE Filter Grid Replacement

onedah

Aug 23, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I have a Pentair FSN 48 Filter DE system and have a tear in one of my filter grids, the rest seem ok, I was wondering if I should be replacing the entire set at the same time or it should not really matter.

We bought the house 3 years ago so the filters are atleast 3+ years old. Local pool store said its best to replace all filter due to the pressure in the system and how the new vs old grids would work - not sure I agree with the stores logic.

I had DE coming back in the pool so checked the filter and found the maniford was cracked in many places so purchased a new one, then I checked the grids and followed the tutorial and found 1 grid had a tear which I beleive is from wear.

If the manifold was cracked, make sure the GPM output of your pump matches the designed flow rate of your filter. Unless the filter is fairly old, the manifold typically only breaks for one of two reasons- to much flow from the pump or excessively high pressure (not back washing often enough).

Looking around the web, I see pleatco brand and unicel - anyone now if there is a difference in quality? the pleatco brand is cheap for buy.

I did the Unicell, thya have been fine. I believe there is a You Tube video on the grid replacement according to one punter on this site. I took a bunch of photos during the swap out, but if there is a vid then that would be better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update on Progress:

- Purchased a replacment manifold due to crack
- Purchased replacement filter grids, I went for the pleatco grids which look as good as the Unicell and saved around $35 on all 8 grids
- Rotated wheels on Paloris cleaner (280) as 1 wheel had broken teeth
- Overall pool is now crystal clear - sand that was in the pool as been sucked up and back in the filter

I am having the same issue. I cleaned the filter and noticed the cracked on the manifold (patched it with epoxy). Some filters have holes but I continued to reuse them. I noticed the pool got cloudy and DE powder on the pool surface. Just ordered new filter and manifold.

Does the DE Powder damage the pool surface, etc?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.