Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Grid Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Question DE Filter Grid Replacement

I have a Pentair FSN 48 Filter DE system and have a tear in one of my filter grids, the rest seem ok, I was wondering if I should be replacing the entire set at the same time or it should not really matter.

We bought the house 3 years ago so the filters are atleast 3+ years old. Local pool store said its best to replace all filter due to the pressure in the system and how the new vs old grids would work - not sure I agree with the stores logic.
    17500 Gallons, IG, Plaster, DE Filter, Built 1997, No Spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter Grid Replacement

Did you accidentally tear the grid or was it torn from wear and tear? If it is from wear and tear then I would replace all the grids, but if you tore it, then I would inspect the condition of the other grids.

Follow this advice for inspecting and cleaning the grids, DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I had DE coming back in the pool so checked the filter and found the maniford was cracked in many places so purchased a new one, then I checked the grids and followed the tutorial and found 1 grid had a tear which I beleive is from wear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would buy a new set of grids in your case.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the advise - will pull the trigger on a new set.

6. Back To Top    #6

Looking around the web, I see pleatco brand and unicel - anyone now if there is a difference in quality? the pleatco brand is cheap for buy.

7. Back To Top    #7

From what I searched here at TFP it seems that the Pleatco grids are fine. The Unicel are OEM grids for Pentair.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If the manifold was cracked, make sure the GPM output of your pump matches the designed flow rate of your filter. Unless the filter is fairly old, the manifold typically only breaks for one of two reasons- to much flow from the pump or excessively high pressure (not back washing often enough).

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks MHarvey86 - I think the fault is all mine - I did very few backwashes last year and paying the price.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by onedah View Post
    Looking around the web, I see pleatco brand and unicel - anyone now if there is a difference in quality? the pleatco brand is cheap for buy.
    I did the Unicell, thya have been fine. I believe there is a You Tube video on the grid replacement according to one punter on this site. I took a bunch of photos during the swap out, but if there is a vid then that would be better.

11. Back To Top    #11

Update on Progress:

- Purchased a replacment manifold due to crack
    - Purchased replacement filter grids, I went for the pleatco grids which look as good as the Unicell and saved around $35 on all 8 grids
    - Rotated wheels on Paloris cleaner (280) as 1 wheel had broken teeth
    - Overall pool is now crystal clear - sand that was in the pool as been sucked up and back in the filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice work!

I am a big fan of my Pleatco filter cartridges.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

I am having the same issue. I cleaned the filter and noticed the cracked on the manifold (patched it with epoxy). Some filters have holes but I continued to reuse them. I noticed the pool got cloudy and DE powder on the pool surface. Just ordered new filter and manifold.

Does the DE Powder damage the pool surface, etc?