Rising PH

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
My PH has been rising for the past six months and I can't determine why. Get's up to 8.2 and I add acid and goes to 7.7 For the past 3 years has held steady at 7.8

test results have been as follows:

fc: 10
cc: 0
ta 100
ch 320
cya 70

ph 7.7 - 8.2

any help appreciated. TJ

Thats not surprise since your TA is on the high side. Consider your TA as a pH buffer, the higher it is, the more tendency your pH will have to want to rise higher and faster. Lowering your TA to 60 should drastically reduce the speed of the pH rise and could ultimately hold the it at bay since a pH of 7.8 and a TA of 60 is nearing being at equilibrium with the carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere (carbon dioxide outgassing being the primary driver of pH rise).

Any form of aeration also contributes to pH rise so limiting that and lower TA values would be in your best benefit.

It's odd that it was steady for three years and suddenly there's unexpected ph rise. Did anything change recently? Maybe a replaster or add salt system?

What are you doing for chlorine?

8.25 Bleach.
I bought a tf-100 test kit late last year. All of my test results were good except cya -125 and ta -70. I thought it should be been 80 and 120. I targeted 100, in the middle. Also the pool store was performing test for previous 3 years and also reported TA @ 100. OH Boy. I should lower to around 70 and the ph should behave. thanks to all.

PH ?

My PH keeps rising because my TA is ~ 100. I installed my home made aerator yesterday. Should raise my PH without raising TA:) Lowered PH to 7.0 So far my PH has not moved higher from 7.0 I wait for PH to rise to 7.5 then lower again until my TA is ~ 70. My question is when I stop using the aerator what will happen? I stop when PH is 7.5 and TA IS ~ 70. I think the TA will not go higher and same goes with my PH. (7.5) I'm concerned when I stop using aerator my TA will rise. Hopefully I am making sense to the forum. TJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: PH ?

Every pool is different, but eventually they should both settle and find a "happy place" for your pool to where you won't have to do as much to maintain. For some folks, pH levels-off in the mid-7s with a TA at 70, other take TA down to 50-60 or so before pH stabilizes. It's a bit of a cat & mouse game for a while. :)

Re: PH ?

My PH keeps rising because my TA is ~ 100. I installed my home made aerator yesterday. Should raise my PH without raising TA:) Lowered PH to 7.0 So far my PH has not moved higher from 7.0 I wait for PH to rise to 7.5 then lower again until my TA is ~ 70. My question is when I stop using the aerator what will happen? I stop when PH is 7.5 and TA IS ~ 70. I think the TA will not go higher and same goes with my PH. (7.5) I'm concerned when I stop using aerator my TA will rise. Hopefully I am making sense to the forum. TJ

The purpose of aerating is to get the pH to rise quickly when you are aggressively trying to lower the TA. If speed is not a concern, drop the pH to 7 and add acid when it reaches 7.4 (no aeration) to lower it back down to 7. This will no doubt be a slow process but if you aren't in a hurry, why rush?

Your TA will not rise due to lack of aeration. Only your pH rises as a result of aeration. Acid lowers both pH and TA.

TA only increases when you add a source of alkalinity such as baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or soda ash (sodium carbonate). Also, your fill water will add TA depending on the source. You can easily measure the TA of your fill water to see if it is a significant source of alkalinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

014.jpg

I have been testing my PH twice a day, always reads the same ~ 6.9 to 7.0
I always drop 5 of the PH regents. TA is always ~90 PH just doesn't want to go higher for some reason. Can't figure out...
I made my aerator and inserted into my return, where the air is pushed out into the pool. Is this also the jet? Did I insert the aerator in the proper place? thanks, TJ

Maybe that's just not enough aeration for that size pool. From the pic, it doesn't appear to really stir things up very much to raise your pH. Here's a couple more examples:
Smoking hot pool water
Best Method to Aerate

On a side note ... your water looks great. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.