Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Bromide Reserve, frequency of adding Sodium Bromide to spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Bromide Reserve, frequency of adding Sodium Bromide to spa

I opened a 192 gallon spa last week, and started on the 3-step process. I shocked the new fill, then added appropriate amount of sodium bromide to establish a reserve. The shock (bleach) raised the free chlorine appropriately, but the Bromine tabs I'd ordered didn't arrive until today.

Since it's been a week, should I add more sodium bromide, or is there a way to test if there's anything left in the reserve? I did a half-shock again, as the FC was gone after using it last night. And now I have 2 tabs in the floater.

Thanks!
    17,000 g.; fiberglass; SWG; cartridge filter.
    Tampa, FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Testing Bromide Reserve, frequency of adding Sodium Bromide to spa

I don't believe there are any tests readily available to test for bromide. As long as you added enough to get to 30 ppm reserve then you just treat it as such. It will very slowly deplete but the tabs will be more than enough to replenish it, you shouldn't need to add any more until you drain the water.

If you are having issues maintaining the bromine level then you should shock it until you are able to maintain the bromine levels. Make sure you are dosing after every soak, the tabs help keep the bromine levels stable when not in use but a soak in that size a tub can easily take it to zero within a half hour.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Testing Bromide Reserve, frequency of adding Sodium Bromide to spa

Wonderful, thanks for that info. I didn't realize the shocking was needed that often due to use.
    17,000 g.; fiberglass; SWG; cartridge filter.
    Tampa, FL.