The latest test results...

Oct 11, 2015
Winter Park, FL
For the last 3 days I've been using the testing agents in my K-2006 kit that I found on Craigslist. Well, today the mailman brought me a package with some new reagents. Specifically, all three bottles to test TA. I wanted to be shown that I needed these new chems and that I didn't waste my money. Here's the before and after results:

old TA - 90
new TA - 140

I did each test twice with old and new...rather convincing results if you ask me. While I'm at it, here's the rest of my numbers for the experts to mull over and comment:

FC - 3 (dropped from 6.4 and 3.8 previous days)
CC - .2 ( holding at .2)
pH - 8.0 ( went up from 7.8 last few days)
TA - 140
CH - 280 ( raised this from 150 a couple days ago using calcium chloride)
CYA - 40

im still learning my pool, but is there anything to tackle immediately? Bring pH down I assume. How do I get rid of the CC?

Re: Old test agents vs new test agents

That is VERY educational to see! Thanks for sharing!

You need to bump your FC up a little. How did you get .2 for your cc?

Your next step to work on your PH/TA relationship as seen in this link.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

You are going to have to work and watch your PH/TA to see what YOUR pool likes. Some pools like a lower TA, some like a higher TA. You need to keep great records of your tests to see the pattern. Once your PH stops "bouncing" up and down you will know you found your pool's TA. Know the charts are for guidance. They are not set in stone. Do what your pool likes.

Kim

I think the 0.2 is from using a 25ml sample.

Jpolsen: Use a 10ml sample for FC/CC and then multiply each drop by 0.5. You will save on reagents and that accuracy is good enough most of the time.

Don't worry about getting CC down. If you are at or below 0.5, you are okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can lower your pH and lower your TA by reading and following these instructions as Kim already said: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

jpolsen,

Maybe not so convincing on the TA test.....I think maybe you forgot to wipe the dropper tip.

When the R-0009 reagent (that's the one where you count the drops) is brand new, there is a static charge that develops between the bottle and the reagent itself. That static can skew your results too high.

The static causes the drop to "jump" off the bottle before it is fully formed........resulting in a smaller drop.....resulting in a higher TA result.

Re-do the test and, this time, wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth in between drops to eliminate the static.

By the way, I am a HUGE fan of fresh chemistry to perform your testing. It is a tiny. tiny investment to make in that nice pool. You didn't waste your money no matter how the test turns out.

Dave, I will try what you say and retest before I add anything. Question: The previous home owners left half a bottle of pH Down here...the main ingredient being sodium bisulphate. Just so I can use it up and toss the bottle, would it hurt to pour this in and see how much, if any, it lowered the pH? Once used up, I'll resume with muriatic acid.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok...did just what Patrick said: lowered pH to 7.2 using MA (BTW, pool math was spot on!) and am aerating via returns pointed upwards. My TA went from 130 to 110 during this process.

My question is, what can I expect to see with my pH and TA levels over the next few days/weeks as I try to find my pool's "happy place"? I assume pH will rise and perhaps TA rise slower or hold steady? Then I repeat the process after pH gets around the 7.8 - 8.0 range? Will the TA slowly come down after each cycle of this? Please explain what I can expect to see.

I love a good challenge!

Last edited:

You can expect pH to bounce back over and over until you finally "crush" enough of the TA, and you'll know its getting closer when the pH rise takes longer and longer. Take it to 7.0 if you like since you have the dose down, just be careful not to overshoot and drive the pH too far down. This may take two or more weeks depending on your situation. Yes, Pool Math is fantastic, and works very, very well. People pick nits with it, but it really is nice.

TA can't increase on its own unless you add something to raise it (soda ash, baking soda, high TA fill water). With each acid addition you should be able to lower your TA. However, with each cycle, it will take progressively longer for the pH to rise. So you just have to find a TA that gives you the longest stretch between acid additions. Practically speaking, pool water is comfortable at any pH between 7.2 to 8.0. During normal operation, I try never to lower my pH below 7.5 and I typically wait until my pH is 7.8 before trying to lower it back down. During the winter months, that can mean weeks between acid additions whereas in the summer months that frequency goes up to days. My TA of 60 in my pool gives me the right balance I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

When lowering the TA, once the pH gets to 7.4-7.5, add enough acid to drop it back to 7. PH rise is significantly faster at lower pH levels so that will also help speed the process along.

If I'm working on TA, trying to lower it, I always shoot for 7.0-7.1 myself. I have monster high TA/pH mane CH in my well water, so I consequently run LOW TA in my pool. Getting it lower takes a long time if I don't go to the lower 7s pH range when I'm working this down.

You can do the same, but make sure you get very good test results on TA, and be very careful with the appropriate Acid dose, and you'll be fine.

Also, I've forgotten to say- The TA test reagents are extremely stable long term, and having that particular test go bad is highly, highly unusual.

I've been on a mission to lower my TA from 140 to 80ish (or wherever the pool likes it). Here's the latest test results with a couple follow up questions:

FC: 4.8
CC: .2
pH: 7.6 (up from 7.0 a few days ago)
TA: 90
CH: 270
CYA: ~35
pool water is clear and temp is ~56F
have 3 jets pointed straight up for aeration.

Q1) how slowly should I expect to see the pH rise for me to know that the pool has found its happy place with pH/TA? I just lowered it back to 7.2 to see what it does over the next few days.

Q2) I tested CYA with water that sat for approximately 45 min getting to room temp and it tested 10-15 ppm lower than just a week ago. We also got 2 days of straight rain. Would the CYA drop that much due to rain or warmer water at testing? Should I raise it a bit?

Lastly, I want to sing the praises of my new speed stir! Love it...makes testing easier and more fun!

That is all.

1. It's a little different for everyone. Compare it to your previous acid addition frequency to gauge it. Check your CSI with a lower TA to make sure you'd be ok with pushing it lower if the rise is till too fast. You should get to your goal of 80 first, and see what the pH does there before moving further down in TA. Do that and then decide.

2. 15 PPM is within the margin or error on Cya so no worries. Depending on how much rain it will change some but it's linear. Figure how much it added in terms of percent, and it will correlate directly to Cya change. Very simple.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.