Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 'Merican Map to the Muriatic....

1. Back To Top    #1

'Merican Map to the Muriatic....

Earlier, I posted about marketing sleight of hand concerning Borax. I fear we may be facing the same dilemma with Muriatic Acid (MA). I have only checked this at Home Depot, since they are very close to home, but the Sales Associates strongly steered me to the "safe" MA in the paint aisles. I finally told them I had no interest in "being safe" and they reluctantly sent me out to the lawn and garden area for the real 20 Baume MA. These were boxed units, two gallons to a box, and it looked like they were not only old stock, but had endured a hard Norwegian winter.

For those unfamiliar with the "safe" variety, it is the normal 20 Baume MA, diluted to half-strength, with water.

Price for two gallon box of the 20 Baume MA? $12.98*

Price for two gallons of the half-strength stuff? $15.68

*Twice as much active ingredient for less money.... for a trek out to Lawn and Garden.... YMMV.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 'Merican Map to the Muriatic....

My lowes has both concentrations side by side in the paint section for the same price.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Home Depot has carried more of the diluted stuff for a long time. I get MA at a farm store for about half what Lowe's sells it for.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Farm store or Menards for me, typically in the paint section or near concrete products. Cheaper than HD, certainly cheaper than pool $tore.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a local pool shop (eKonomy Pools) that sell Hasa Brand MA (and LC) in refillable, 1 gallon jugs (you buy four at a time) for $19 for four ($4.75/gal). There's a one-time, refundable $6 deposit for the safety carrier that you will get back if you stop using them. Pretty cheap and VERY strong stuff. I would previously buy MA from either Leslies or Patio pools (whichever had the sale) and I could easily handle a whiff or two of their MA. The stuff I get from eKonomy Pools makes my eyes tear and nose sting just opening the bottle up. So while it is labelled 20 Baume, me thinks it's a fair bit stronger than that...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I buy at HD outside in garden. I only buy clean boxes that have not suffered deterioration.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Most of the HDs in my area carry both 14.5% and 31.45% MA, side by side, with the higher concentration $1 more for 2 gallons, which is obviously the better value. The lower concentration is labeled "Swimming Pool" and the higher "Contractor Strength", but both say "Pool & Spa" and refer to lowering pH. Unfortunately, the HD closest to me only carries the lower strength, but the rest in the area have both. This is all outside in the garden area (but away from the chlorine); I've never been able to find Muriatic Acid in the paint aisle, though I'm sure it's there.

I've considered buying it in reusable jugs from the same place I get chlorine, but those jugs are opaque, making it hard to add without measuring. With the translucent jugs I use a premarked stick to transfer 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines, making it easy to just pour out of the jug into the pool without a measuring cup.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
    .....The lower concentration is labeled "Swimming Pool" and the higher "Contractor Strength", but both say "Pool & Spa" and refer to lowering pH. Unfortunately, the HD closest to me only carries the lower strength, but the rest in the area have both. This is all outside in the garden area (but away from the chlorine); I've never been able to find Muriatic Acid in the paint aisle, though I'm sure it's there.
    That is like the bottles that we used to have at the local HD. I forgot the links, so I edited the original post..... but the full strength bottle appears to have changed, entirely, and along with that, the vendor... maybe they are saving money on shipping by buying from a closer vendor... the bottles I bought appear to have come from either FL or LA.

Or, Amazon has it for only $26.75 per gallon with free shipping!

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't want to jinx myself, but I buy the full strength MA from a local hardware store for $5.98 per gallon. I try to buy local whenever possible. I sometimes will even pay more (within reason) to shop locally.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I use a local pool shop (eKonomy Pools) that sell Hasa Brand MA (and LC) in refillable, 1 gallon jugs (you buy four at a time) for $19 for four ($4.75/gal). There's a one-time, refundable $6 deposit for the safety carrier that you will get back if you stop using them. Pretty cheap and VERY strong stuff. I would previously buy MA from either Leslies or Patio pools (whichever had the sale) and I could easily handle a whiff or two of their MA. The stuff I get from eKonomy Pools makes my eyes tear and nose sting just opening the bottle up. So while it is labelled 20 Baume, me thinks it's a fair bit stronger than that...
    I wouldn't swear to it in a court of law, but I'm pretty sure 20 Baume/31.4% is the highest strength commercially available. It's 33% raw strength and they knock it down to 31.4 to reduce fuming. Someone can look it up, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I think it is 38%, but 31% fumes plenty, for me......