Pool in Progress in Austin, Texas!

Austx

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2015
Austin TX
My wife and I both grew up with pools. Add to that the hot Texas summers and overcrowded city pools and we were inevitably dreaming of building our own. This year, with our 4 & 6 year old boys taking to their swimming lessons like fish, and too ‘active’ to corral in doors through another hot summer, we decided to take the plunge.

We spent about three months interviewing five potential companies. In the end our choice came down largely the reputation of the company we chose, and, Frank. After talking with multiple salesmen, who showed up late, and in one case, probably high, and then put on the hard sell, we liked Frank. He is literally a Boy Scout leader, (and tried to sell us on that too). Frank gave us a brief history of his company and explanation of what they put in writing and why they could do that, and after that he just listened. His design was great, not that we were all that complicated, he was knowledgeable, and responsive to our questions and tweaks through the whole process. That was a real comfort to us as we were coming to terms with digging up our beloved yard and spending a small fortune.

Here is what we decided on.
Pool.jpg

We are past the gunite stage waiting for the deck now, so I’ll post more pictures of the progress when I have a chance. I just wanted to get this first post out of the way, and take this opportunity to say THANKS! I’ve been lurking since we decided to finally do this and I’m absolutely confident now we are making the right decision and that it is one that I can handle.
By the way, the pool store is walking distance from my house. I’m so glad I found you guys when I did! <Shudder>

Last edited:
That looks great! Your boys will love it, I'm sure! What are the dimensions? It looks like you've designed a nice sized pool for your family. I'll be looking forward to hearing more of the details of your finish choices (tile, coping, plaster, kind of decking...) Congratulations on taking the plunge!

That looks great! Your boys will love it, I'm sure! What are the dimensions? It looks like you've designed a nice sized pool for your family. I'll be looking forward to hearing more of the details of your finish choices (tile, coping, plaster, kind of decking...) Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Thanks JamieP! I don't have the exact dimensions but it averages ~35' X 12', with a 3.5' shallow end and 6.5' deep end. We went with a blue coral tile that looks even better than we'd hoped once it was in place.
tile.jpg

We went with Oklahoma flagstone for the coping and dry stack of the same for the back wall and waterfall. Here is a picture of the tile and stone in place as it looked this morning.
tile & stone.jpg

So far we are thrilled with how it is turning out. One great surprise was that we ended up with about a pallet and a half extra stone when the masons finished. My wife and I take a lot of pride in our yard and do all our own landscaping so we are thrilled to have all this stone to work with!
The plaster we choose is an aqua blue pebble tech. I'm dying to see what it will look like once it is in. I grew up with a white plaster pool and always thought that was beautiful but am really excited to have something a little deeper and darker blue. I am a little concerned that I may regret not going with something even darker, but at the end of the day I'm sure it will be beautiful.
For decking we are going with sonoran tan salted concrete. We seriously considered going with a flagstone deck, but the fact that it would not be completely flat beneath our table and chairs, and the considerable increase in cost led us to the concrete. We have much larger wooden deck leading to the poolside deck that gives us the aesthetics and extra space we need so I'm happy with the compromise.
They are planning on cleaning up a lot of the mess, filling in all the trenches and pouring the deck this Saturday. I can't wait! We are thrilled it will be on a weekend so we can sneak our kids hand prints into the wet concrete. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome and congrats!!! Does the Mom in the bikini come with the pool?

I'd like to think you could sense my wife rolling her eyes at you all the way up in IL, or maybe I'm the only one who can detect that from miles away. ;-)

NICE start! Pictures included!

I love your color pics and the whole design!

You are going to love having a pool! The boys will sleep REAL good after a fun day of swimming!

Do you have your test kit yet? You are getting close to needing it. It would be good to have it now to test your fill water so you will know what to have on hand when you start adding water. Look in my siggy for the ones we use and love.

LOL on the kids hand prints. I did my dog's paw print.

Kim

pool stuff.jpg
I mentioned in my first post I have been lurking for a while, I should have said, enthusiastically lurking. I've had my TF-100 & some other odds and ends since the re bar stage. I think I might be a little over excited to get started...

Kimkats, you mentioned testing my fill water ahead of time, and I was planning on doing that. I'm assuming I'd be testing for;
FC, PH, TA, & CH? Am I missing anything?

We really lucked out with the construction supervisor, Severo. Frank, our sales and design guy told us he was their best and we have not been disappointed. On a whim, I ran the chemical strategy I learned here by him, and was surprised to find out that before becoming a construction supervisor, he ran their start up pool school and so was was enthusiastic and well informed when it came to chemicals. He seemed a little surprised that a guy with only a big muddy hole in the ground wanted to discuss recommended CYA levels, but he enthusiastically endorsed sticking to bleach as a chlorine source and BBB in general. Having had such a great experience with this site and our builder, I was very happy that both sources agreed on the approach. Trying to decide who was more credible at this point would not have been fun.

One question I had after my conversation with him. He said that they would use my Pentair Rainbow #320 chlorine tablet feeder to initially bring up my CYA after filling. I recall reading somewhere on here that initially adding CYA via tablet was not recommended and I should use the sock in the skimmer method. I assume the tablet method will raise the CYA more slowly. Given it is winter (cold water) is there really too much risk going the tablet rout? Since they are walking me through startup and there are plaster curing and warranty concerns, I would like to follow their lead. Ultimately I'd like to level out my CYA on the lower side before switching to bleach, so I have the option of switching the feeder back on for a week at a time if we go out of town.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.