Pool Frog Removal

DenLor

Apr 25, 2009
Topic split off from this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/use-of-the-pool-frog-t11330.html

Good morning... I'm new to your site and find this information about the Pool Frog system very interesting. We initially were satistfied with ours, but had nothing but problems last year. Not knowing much about pools (didn't need to with Pool Frog..LOL) What would we have to do if we wanted to eliminate the Pool Frog system? Just keep the same pump and filter hooked directly to the return? We have a 27' AGP... Thanks

Hi, Yes, you can simply take the cartridge out and leave the cannister empty for the season, set it to maximum on the dial, or you can take it out of the plumbing line all together.

Welcome to the forum! :wave: For future reference, please start a new thread when posting a question about your personal pool.

Are you still having water issues? If you post a full set of test results we may be able to assist you better. :goodjob:

Difficult? No. My main issue was overstabilization from the trichlor in the bac-pacs (too high CYA). I had to do several partial drains and refills to bring the CYA in to the recommended range. Luckily my fill water is very good so all the water replacement and I didn't have to do any adjusting to my PH or TA.

I really liked the convenience aspect of the frog, but it wasn't worth the trouble it ended up causing. I was afraid at first of the daily routine of BBB, that it would be time consuming or an inconvenience, but it really isn't. It's really only like 5 minutes a day or every other day, quite honestly. I couldn't be happier :goodjob:

Even if you do need to make adjustments, this forum and the knowledge you gain here will make it very simple and straightforward. It really takes the mystery out of everything pool related and you will have total control of your pool.

I recommend you purchase a good test kit, like the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. No others will do. :wink:

Let me know if you need any other information!

Switching is easy and you'll get lot's of help on the forum. Essentially, all you are doing is changing your sanitizing source from the frog to chlorine. It's cheaper and better for your pool and your swimmers. :lol:

Yes, I guess I'm somewhat afraid of losing the convenience. Anyways, since we will be doing this from an opening up for the season, will this make it anymore difficult or easier since all of the "Frog" chemicals I would assume be non-existent.

DenLor said:
Yes, I guess I'm somewhat afraid of losing the convenience. Anyways, since we will be doing this from an opening up for the season, will this make it anymore difficult or easier since all of the "Frog" chemicals I would assume be non-existent.

Depends. The CYA could be very high, and you could still have some levels of copper. I would have the pool store run a complete test including testing for copper.

Did you drain out some of the water for winterizing? The fresh water should help things, assuming your tap water doesn't have metals.

No, we have one of the covers that just snaps on the skimmer for the winter to avoid having to drain any. We still usually have to add some to start off, but we have well water (not hard).

Eek...we do too. I think that was part of why we started having problems. I have friends who have a frog, and they don't have the same overstablization from the CYA that I did....because they drain their pools about 1/3 down each fall. I think the fresh water each spring keeps their CYA reasonably in check.

We didn't notice problems with our Froggie until about year 4, we switched to the skimmer cover in year 2. So three summers of the same old water and voila...not good. Our CYA was well over 100 and our copper levels were way too high (which explains my son and my dog's hair turning green). Part of our problem too was several times the bac-pac or frog cannister malfunctioned, and the tablets dissolved in like 4-5 days instead of lasting the normal 2-4 weeks. So all that trichlor was dumped in our pool, which really aggrevated me. I kept having to deal with falling PH and TA, FC wouldn't hold, I had organic staining. Ugh. BTW, I was at the pool store yesterday, they are selling the bac-packs for $19.99.

I hope when you open your test results reveal better. When are you planning to open? If you can I would still test your tap/fill water for metals, in case your CYA is too high and you need to do some draining and refilling.

We only used ours for the first year but have left it inline for the years since - just didn't put anything in the canister. This year on opening we chose to remove the canister.

For us the switch to BBB was very easy once we had a good test kit. We did not have an issue with too high CYA, but we do drain each year and I have to add CYA every year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.