my chemistry numbers are:
FC 6.0
pH 7.7
TA 90
CH 250
CYA 30
water temp 46°
no borates.

using PoolMath the saturation index is -0.18. using the Langelier formula the saturation index is approximately -0.05. i calculated LSI using Taylor's Water Balance Calculator wheel that came with my K-2006 test kit.

why is PoolMath's saturation index so different from LSI's?

[h=1][/h]

Re: why are PoolMath and Langelier saturation index numbers different?

Read the links posted above for the detailed discussion. Essentially the pool industry modified the original LSI factor to try to make it work for pool water but it, the LSI, was never intended for open water systems like pools. The CSI was developed to specifically address open water bodies (like pools and spas) and comes much closer to actually predicting scale and corrosion than the LSI does.

Also, remember that these indices simply give you a measure of how over-saturated or under-saturated your pool water is with respect to calcium carbonate concentration. The CSI will tell you if you are in an unbalanced state but it tells you nothing about the rate of plaster corrosion or the speed of scale formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Also Marcion, in many cases your CSI will be fine with the specific guidelines we suggest using. There are Caveats as with most things, but that's generally true. As said, LSI is more useful for other applications, and we use it extensively in my industry. CSI is also used and we rely on both for making lots of important and often critical decisions. CSI works well for pools since CaCo3 is by far our greatest concern. Typically, the other constituents don't reach levels of concern in most pools most of the time, but it's interesting stuff if you like delving into such things.

As indicated above, while the CSI may be a more recent upgrade, there is not a lot of difference between the LSI and CSI, as both are calculated similarly. Neither Index is absolute on predicting what will happen in a plaster pool.
Also, in terms balancing pool water, there is not a lot of difference between a -0.05 and -0.18. Both numbers are well within the "balanced" range.
Both formulas provide a good idea of whether the pool water is within the balanced range or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.