Where would you place the lights in this pool?

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Hi all,

I am in the final design stage for a pool I'm having built. One of the last things I'm trying to decide on is the placement of lights in the pool. I'm going with two large LED lights in the main pool and two LED bubblers on the sun shelf. It's the two main pool lights I'm trying to make sure I've placed in the best spot. I want to minimize shadows and light the pool as evenly as possible. Appreciate any input you can offer as I get ready to lock this in.
pool1.jpg

Thanks,

-Chad

I'd pull the light on the right towards the other light about 12-18". Currently its light on the right side will be lost somewhat when hitting the steps/shelf. You will also have a shadow just above the lower bench on the left - the movement mentioned should help this. No way to get around seeing the lights from the spa though, assuming you don't want to see them from the house sitting area which I presume is in the "L" shaped area on the right.

Yep, I'd move the right light a bit to the left and the left light a little to the right to avoid a shadow behind the lower bench.

Or move the right light down even more, like to the cleaner fitting, and move the left light across the pool to the left of the stairs a foot or so. That might eliminate most of the light glare in the hot tub.

Thank you both very much. I was originally thinking the light on the right would go on the opposite side if the steps and a bit further out. But the engineer reminded me that lights in shallowest ends can really illuminate any imperfections and should be avoided. I definitely agree with moving the light in the deep end a bit to the right to get around that bench. Also makes sense to move the light by the steps a bit further away from the steps.

I was wondering the same about the shelf. I have two LED bubblers going on there and was told that would be sufficient light for the shelf area. I mentioned the idea of the small lights on the shelf and was told it would look strange having multiple light sources. Where would you place them? Knowing there will be 2 LED bubblers, would you still do it?

We have no light shining on or toward our shelf and it is fine for us. Our light is on the wall of the shelf facing away. I would think the two LED bubblers would be more than enough.

On the subject of lights outside of the pool. We usually need to have lights on away from the pool and the light in the pool off to keep the bugs away. Especially june bugs. If we turn the pool light on in the evening it is bugfest at certain times of the year.

Please add your state to your location, click settings upper right and edit profile lower left. It will help us understand your climate better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the subject of lights outside of the pool. We usually need to have lights on away from the pool and the light in the pool off to keep the bugs away. Especially june bugs. If we turn the pool light on in the evening it is bugfest at certain times of the year.

Please add your state to your location, click settings upper right and edit profile lower left. It will help us understand your climate better.

Interesting about the bugs. I had heard this, but also that using the LEDs instead of the halogens helps somewhat. Do you have LEDs and you still have this problem?

I have heard many times that LED's do decrease the amount of bugs that are attracted to pools. It makes sense because the lights are usually set on a color other than white (under the assumption that colored lights attract fewer bugs?). Regardless, in my area we have moderate bug levels at night (though not the intense bug levels of some areas). Lots are flying by the white LED bulbs in the post lamps on the periphery of the pool area. But many fewer around the pool - always on solid colored or light shows - never white. Do they still attract bugs, yes. Does it keep me from wanting to have the light on when I'm swimming...no way.

I did find an interesting read about LED bulbs and attraction of bugs. Mind you, its from a company that sells and promotes LED bulbs...salt needed.

http://www.theledlight.com/blogs/led-light-bulbs-and-bugs.html

There are no perfect answers on this pool. Everything is a compromise. One potential solution is to place a light about a foot to the right of the steps. That would light up your large area with the water feature and not produce too much glare. The bubblier lights should provide sufficient light for the steps but just the steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.