Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where would you place the lights in this pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where would you place the lights in this pool?

Hi all,

I am in the final design stage for a pool I'm having built. One of the last things I'm trying to decide on is the placement of lights in the pool. I'm going with two large LED lights in the main pool and two LED bubblers on the sun shelf. It's the two main pool lights I'm trying to make sure I've placed in the best spot. I want to minimize shadows and light the pool as evenly as possible. Appreciate any input you can offer as I get ready to lock this in.
    pool1.jpg

Thanks,

-Chad

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Where would you place the lights in this pool?

I'd pull the light on the right towards the other light about 12-18". Currently its light on the right side will be lost somewhat when hitting the steps/shelf. You will also have a shadow just above the lower bench on the left - the movement mentioned should help this. No way to get around seeing the lights from the spa though, assuming you don't want to see them from the house sitting area which I presume is in the "L" shaped area on the right.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, I'd move the right light a bit to the left and the left light a little to the right to avoid a shadow behind the lower bench.

Or move the right light down even more, like to the cleaner fitting, and move the left light across the pool to the left of the stairs a foot or so. That might eliminate most of the light glare in the hot tub.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both very much. I was originally thinking the light on the right would go on the opposite side if the steps and a bit further out. But the engineer reminded me that lights in shallowest ends can really illuminate any imperfections and should be avoided. I definitely agree with moving the light in the deep end a bit to the right to get around that bench. Also makes sense to move the light by the steps a bit further away from the steps.

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting problem. Lights should not be facing swimpaths and should face away from the main seating area.

I would add a couple of glowbrights on the step shelf. And I generally concur with the above.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

It is true that lights in the shallow end can show the wavy imperfections in the plaster.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I was wondering the same about the shelf. I have two LED bubblers going on there and was told that would be sufficient light for the shelf area. I mentioned the idea of the small lights on the shelf and was told it would look strange having multiple light sources. Where would you place them? Knowing there will be 2 LED bubblers, would you still do it?

8. Back To Top    #8

We have no light shining on or toward our shelf and it is fine for us. Our light is on the wall of the shelf facing away. I would think the two LED bubblers would be more than enough.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you have the light on in the bubbler without it bubbling? (real questions as I do not know)

You can always have a pretty post lamp outside your pool to light up an area. I LOVE this look!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

On the subject of lights outside of the pool. We usually need to have lights on away from the pool and the light in the pool off to keep the bugs away. Especially june bugs. If we turn the pool light on in the evening it is bugfest at certain times of the year.

Please add your state to your location, click settings upper right and edit profile lower left. It will help us understand your climate better.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    On the subject of lights outside of the pool. We usually need to have lights on away from the pool and the light in the pool off to keep the bugs away. Especially june bugs. If we turn the pool light on in the evening it is bugfest at certain times of the year.

Please add your state to your location, click settings upper right and edit profile lower left. It will help us understand your climate better.
    Interesting about the bugs. I had heard this, but also that using the LEDs instead of the halogens helps somewhat. Do you have LEDs and you still have this problem?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

12. Back To Top    #12

No, mine is the old school 500w light. Don't know if LEDs attract less bugs.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I have heard many times that LED's do decrease the amount of bugs that are attracted to pools. It makes sense because the lights are usually set on a color other than white (under the assumption that colored lights attract fewer bugs?). Regardless, in my area we have moderate bug levels at night (though not the intense bug levels of some areas). Lots are flying by the white LED bulbs in the post lamps on the periphery of the pool area. But many fewer around the pool - always on solid colored or light shows - never white. Do they still attract bugs, yes. Does it keep me from wanting to have the light on when I'm swimming...no way.

I did find an interesting read about LED bulbs and attraction of bugs. Mind you, its from a company that sells and promotes LED bulbs...salt needed.

http://www.theledlight.com/blogs/led...-and-bugs.html
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

There are no perfect answers on this pool. Everything is a compromise. One potential solution is to place a light about a foot to the right of the steps. That would light up your large area with the water feature and not produce too much glare. The bubblier lights should provide sufficient light for the steps but just the steps.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall