Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-plaster needed, or is it just cosmetic?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Re-plaster needed, or is it just cosmetic?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I've been reading posts for a couple years now - thanks to all for letting me eavesdrop.

I have a question: Is my pool's bad plaster is a factor in having to dump tons of chlorine/chemicals in to try to control black algae? And, should paint/replaster the thing to save chemicals and hassle on trying to control that black algae?

I have to confess my pool has been a bit of a headache for me and I've actually been contemplating turning it into a sunken-patio-thing or decking over it or just ripping it out and filling it in! It's an oddly-wavy-shaped 15x40 pool, with a 9-foot deep end. I've been battling black algae and green algae on the walls ever since I filled it two years ago. Even adding silver solutions and raising the chlorine really high (and brushing a lot, and rinsing the DE filter over and over) don't resolve the issue in a very satisfactory way. The water gets clear but the walls have a persistent presence of the black algae growing like a dotted spiderweb of evil.

The pool is probably 30 years old and may have had a previous re-plastering job done long ago. It sat empty for about a year in 2013. The current plaster is pretty bad, which I suspect is a wonderful host for the black algae to get in deep. A while back I drained out the attached spa which has the worst problems on the plaster. I took the back end of a claw hammer and knocked around a little bit on the small chunks of partly delaminated plaster. The black algae was growing *under* the plaster, too. Not having the time to attempt whacking away at the whole spa and starting a replaster right then and there I just did a quick acid-wash/brushing and refilled it. That has had zero effect on the native black algae population.

Thoughts? Is a highly pitted / delaminated plaster pool going to be an algae nightmare until I fix the plaster, or is the plaster more of a cosmetic issue and my problem is mainly a chemical one?

Thanks!
    15x40 pool, kidney/wavy
    ~25,000 gallons (guessing)
    Southern California

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Re-plaster needed, or is it just cosmetic?

Welcome to the forum.

Is my pool's bad plaster is a factor in having to dump tons of chlorine/chemicals in to try to control black algae?
    The short answer is yes. Algae, especially black algae, develops in nooks and crannies where chlorine can't get to it. A badly chipped surface combined with some long term under-chlorination and lack of brushing, is a great recipe for algae.
    Is a highly pitted / delaminated plaster pool going to be an algae nightmare until I fix the plaster, or is the plaster more of a cosmetic issue and my problem is mainly a chemical one?
    From your description it sounds like you will be in a constant struggle until you replaster the pool. You can likely control it with chemistry (PROPER chemistry) but you may never defeat it if your plaster is in the shape I think you are describing
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

HI and what he ^^^^ said!

I would look into getting new plaster AND a good test kit. With these two things we can help you LOVE your pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

And don't forget to post pics so we can see what's going on.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop