New Pool Owner from Fresno California

Hi,
I'm Mike from Fresno and my wife and I just moved into a new house that contains a large (30,000 gallons, L shaped, 43ft by 31ft and widest and longest points, with two separate shallow ends) and older (1981) inground pool and spa. We've already replaced the 200,000 btu heater and added a new pump, filter and blower from Pentair and the spa is up and running. Still working on some electrical issues to finally get everything working but home to have it going soon. We have a polaris, looks to be 7-10 years old and just got a new pentair booster pump to run it. Also have the pentair automation with remote.

Apparently the first mistake I've already made (maybe?) was buying the LaMotte ColorQ Pro7. Free chlorine and total chlorine registered too high for the device to quantify (not sure if it's supposed to be inside at night as I did) and the CYA is also off the register high. Other number s were Ph 7.7, Alk 158 and Calc hardness 285.

Anyway, I am grateful for this site and for the blog that led me here. Thank you for all of your wisdom!

Pool 05.jpgPool 06.jpg

I'm sure you will get many negative comments about your LaMotte ColorQ Pro7, but not from me. I have both the TF-100, with speed stir, and the LaMotte ColorQ Pro7 and I think they both have their place. If I want to double check something I use the TF-100, but for my normal everyday tests I use the LaMotte. Unlike others here, I have found the results to be pretty close. My favorite part of the LaMotte is the pH test which does not require me to color match anything. That said, I would also not want to be without my TF-100 which allows you to test FC about 10 ppm, which as you found out, the LaMotte cannot do.

I recommend that you get the TF-100 and the speed stir, which makes it much easier to use, but I would not toss the LaMotte ColorQ Pro7 until you have had a chance to use them both.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm sure you will get many negative comments about your LaMotte ColorQ Pro7, but not from me. I have both the TF-100, with speed stir, and the LaMotte ColorQ Pro7 and I think they both have their place. If I want to double check something I use the TF-100, but for my normal everyday tests I use the LaMotte. Unlike others here, I have found the results to be pretty close. My favorite part of the LaMotte is the pH test which does not require me to color match anything. That said, I would also not want to be without my TF-100 which allows you to test FC about 10 ppm, which as you found out, the LaMotte cannot do.

I recommend that you get the TF-100 and the speed stir, which makes it much easier to use, but I would not toss the LaMotte ColorQ Pro7 until you have had a chance to use them both.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I'm on it!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, here's the weird second shallow end, right up against the house, that we're told at some point may have had a Japanese style wood bridge from the Master patio to the main patio.Pool 02 copy.jpg

You can certainly use the ColorQ for day-to-day testing if your parameters are within the range of the unit BUT please only post TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 results when asking questions. I know some folks on TFP have these units and they like the ease-of-use, but they bring along with them an air of suspicion based on their poor track record (long term, they tend to lose their calibration). If you need chemical advice, then we all need to speak the same language and that language is based on the Taylor drop-based titration results.

Welcome to TFP :wave: That is a beautiful old pool and a real gem of a backyard!! As someone who lives in a desert, all those trees around your pool drive me batty thinking about skimming leaves :crazy: