Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Skim, all vac

1. Back To Top    #1

No Skim, all vac

So i bought my house about 2 months ago and have not changed anything on the current setup, my brother who bought a house w/ a pool about 6 years ago came by and basically told me I have no top skimming going on. I have my Hayward ultra vac connected to a hose connected to the skimmer 24/7 and is recommending something this to skim and vac:

Amazon.com: Pentair R211100 Vac-Mate Pool Cleaner Dispenser Box: Patio, Lawn Garden

I have 1 return line and cant find any other lines.

Do you guys think I really do need this item? Is anyone else using this w/ an Hayward Ultra vac?

Just in case, here is my intro w/ more info:

New pool owner needs help in So. Cal.
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Skim, all vac

Just a suggestion on how to spend a bunch of your money. Get the ultra vac out of the skimmer - and let it do its job -- skimming. Then go buy a robot. OK they cost $500 but you have skimming and cleaning. Throw the robot in once a week -- go play golf -- take it out when you come back -- pool clean.

They have a high initial cost -- cost almost nothing to operate. And you don't need to run the filter pump top clean the pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

When you say go buy a "robot", what exactly are you referring to?
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

A robot is an electric pool sweep. You plug it in throw it in the pool. It spends about 2 hours cleaning the pool, you take it out. They range in price from $400 to 800. Robotic Pool Cleaners
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh ok!

I didn't realize robots did more than just sweep, I think on Saturdays I will start to disconnect the hose for the cleaner and let it skim the top Saturday/Sunday. I usually brush it down on Sundays.

Thanks!
    Chris B.

6. Back To Top    #6

They just sweep. But if your pool is swept you generally won't have to vacuum and can reduce your pump run time or speed.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, cool!

So this past Saturday we used the Jacuzzi for the very 1st time, I set the valves so that its sucking from the Jacuzzi and return into the Jacuzzi, it took 2 hours to get steamy hot!!!!! Thats not normal, right?
    Chris B.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not going to say that is normal or abnormal. Was the spa covered? What size is your heater? What was the start temp?

9. Back To Top    #9

No Cover, I just bought the house about 3 months ago, seems to be an older heater:

I wanna start temp was around 50f.
    Chris B.