pensacola,fl
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So the wife and I finally decided to switch to saltwater. Im having some trouble deciding on which system to get. I like pentair products but I noticed they don't have digital displays to read the salt. I was looking at the hayward aqua rite but I have read some bad reviews about them. There are more good than bad but.... My pool is 30,000 gallons. Any suggestions? I would like to stay around 1200-1300 for the system. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Without an automation panel, a Pentair IntelliChlor (IC-60) is not really the best choice. The output can only be adjusted in 20% increments. TFP always recommends you get an SWG sized about 2X your pool volume even though the industry usually does not. Getter a bigger cell will allow you to run it a lower output % power and thereby increase the longevity of the cell. For your pool, a Hayward AquaRite with a T-15 cell will probably be the best choice. Hayward has recently updated their power supply design to correct a longstanding problem with the in-rush current limiter (thermistor) always burning out. Even though the previous fix was simple ($2 component & 15 minutes with a soldering iron), most people found it to be a nuisance. That is probably the bulk of the bad comments out there regarding the AquaRite systems. The Jandy cells are pretty good too but my biggest complaint about them is that their largest available cell produces less chlorine per day than any of the other competitors (Jandy AquaPure 1400 produces only 1.25lbs of Cl per day while the Hayward T-15's and Pentair IC-60's produce closer to 2 lbs per day).

So, for you, it's probably either Jandy or Hayward, whichever fits your budget. Also, careful with purchasing online. Many of the pool equipment manufacturers will only honor a 6 month warranty if you self-install and/or buy online. Many times you have to buy the unit through one of their distributors and/or have it professionally installed to get the longer warranties. When you decide which cell you're going to install, check with the manufacturer on warranty limitations.

What if I would be able to get a pentair with automation panel. Would that be better than other two or should I just go ahead and get the hayward t-15?

All the big brands are very similar. If you get automaton, then you should match the SWG brand to it. But I would not say the Pentair SWG is better than the Hayward. The Pentair cells are certainly more expensive to replace.

The key is the sizing where the Hayward might be a little on the small side.

All the big brands are very similar. If you get automaton, then you should match the SWG brand to it. But I would not say the Pentair SWG is better than the Hayward. The Pentair cells are certainly more expensive to replace.

The key is the sizing where the Hayward might be a little on the small side.

See that was something I've been afraid is during the summer months the 40k being too small to keep up with my pool. I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot down here and I always tend to use way more chlorine. So I was looking at possibly going with the Pentair IC60. I feel it would work less than a 40. Im looking to order it in the next week so Im trying to get all my research done this week. I know its not going to help me much right now with the way the weather has been but I'm hoping it will start warming up next month. Thanks again for all the advice.

See that was something I've been afraid is during the summer months the 40k being too small to keep up with my pool. I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot down here and I always tend to use way more chlorine. So I was looking at possibly going with the Pentair IC60. I feel it would work less than a 40. Im looking to order it in the next week so Im trying to get all my research done this week. I know its not going to help me much right now with the way the weather has been but I'm hoping it will start warming up next month. Thanks again for all the advice.

In your 27,000 gallon pool, an IC-60 generating 2.0 lbs of chlorine per day will add 8.9ppm FC per day. A clean pool in a hot climate will easily use 2-3ppm FC per day but more likely closer to 4 ppm/day. Add kids and a big pool party and you could easily overwhelm the output of the SWG. So, no matter what brand you choose, you'll still be using bleach to supplement your SWG. Even I, with my tiny 16,000 gallon pool, supplement with bleach every so often. If you have to add an automation panel to an IC60 then you're talking way over $1,300.

Have you considered a Stenner pump as a possible solution?

Both the IC60 and the AquaRite AQR15 put out a maximum of 2lb per day, so it would seem that although one is rated at 60k gallons and the other at 40k the output is the same. The replacement cells for Hayward AquaRite are significantly cheaper because the flow sensor isn't in the cell. I've been using the AquaRite for over ten years now. In a 20k pool my first t-15 cell lasted 7+ years, and cost $300 to replace making my chlorine cost $57 per year. We will see how long my second cell lasts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my SWG!! But they are not without cost and their own complexities. You have an IntelliFlo which is a great VS pump to own, so getting an automation panel to pair with an IC60 would be a bigger upfront investment in your pool, but a great investment in my opinion. Typically, if you decide to go with automation, the recommendation is to keep it all in the same product manufacturer. As one member of TFP put, "You can power a Chevy truck with a Ford engine and a Toyota transmission, but it's just adds unnecessary complexity."

One thing to keep in mind with an SWG is to remember that they only generate chlorine when the pump is running. So, if you're used to short pump run times, you may find having to run the pump extra as adding to your utility bill. Let's assume you need 3ppm/day from an IC60 SWG. Based on what I wrote previously, your going to generate about 9ppm/day, so that means your pump will have to run a minimum of 8 hours each day with the SWG running at 100% power or 16 hours/day running at 50% power (SWG's run in a duty-cycle method, % power = fraction of the time the cell is ON for a given time period). The VS pump will allow you to find the minimum run speed necessary to generate chlorine (and therefore optimize your utility costs) but you'll still be running the pump a lot more than most people do using the manual chlorination method.

Just some additional thoughts.

The T-15 puts out 1.4lbs of Cl per day and is similar to the Pentair IC-40. The IC60 puts out 2lbs/day. The Jandy AquaPure700 puts out 0.7lbs/day and the Aquapure1400 puts out 1.25lbs per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I can't remember which one it was, but doesn't one have a much longer warranty then the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember which one it was, but doesn't one have a much longer warranty then the other?

Most manufacturers have the same warranty. Pentair will definitely extend the warranty out to 3 years BUT you typically have to make a bundled purchase with other Pentair stuff (like an IntelliFlo VS pump, an IC SWG and an automation panel). Other manufacturers offer similar deals. The one thing they also do is restrict warranties for self-installed units and products not bought through their distributors. So if you see a Pentair IC40 on Amazon and think, "WOW! That's an incredible deal!!" be careful as the warranty will usually only be 6 months.

Thank you JoyfulNoise, It must be the robot cleaners I was thinking about, one of those had a much better warranty I believe.

What are your thoughts on ozone systems? I have a friend that has one and loves it but I don't know a lot about them except for how they work. Are they worth it or should I stay away from them. I can get a complete system installed for just under 1k. Any thoughts?

Ozone is not recommended here at TFP for outdoor residential pools. Use the search funtion and type in "ozone" and you will find a lot of information on it.

You will get away with a Hayward Aquarite T-15 cell, but might have to run slightly longer run times in the summer to keep up. Most places still have a three year warranty even with self installs with the Aquarites. Are you planning on doing a self install?

Another option is the Autopilot brand. They are more than what you wanted to pay, but they do havce the size and controls that you would need.

Thank you for the info. Yes I am planning on installing myself. I just don't want to spend the money and not be happy with it. I'm just looking for a system that will require less time on my part. My wife and I both have busy work schedules and 5 kids so you can imagine we don't have a lot of time to spend tending to the pool. I like the idea of going salt it was just brought to my attention by a friend about the ozone. Didn't know if it was a good system or not.

What are your thoughts on ozone systems? I have a friend that has one and loves it but I don't know a lot about them except for how they work. Are they worth it or should I stay away from them. I can get a complete system installed for just under 1k. Any thoughts?

Thank you for the info. Yes I am planning on installing myself. I just don't want to spend the money and not be happy with it. I'm just looking for a system that will require less time on my part. My wife and I both have busy work schedules and 5 kids so you can imagine we don't have a lot of time to spend tending to the pool. I like the idea of going salt it was just brought to my attention by a friend about the ozone. Didn't know if it was a good system or not.

Tell your friend to switch off his ozone system and see if there is any difference in his water quality. My guess is there will be no difference.

Ozone, like UV systems, are good at killing certain types of pathogens that are not as easily destroyed by chlorine. However, those pathogens tend to be rarely found in single-family, low bather-load residential pools. As well, most of those alternative sanitizer systems are fairly "weak sauce" in terms of their output and installation. For example, most residential ozone generators use ambient air as the input gas for a corona discharge (CD) ozone generator. Ambient air is only 18% O2 and it contains more than enough humidity (even in "dry" climates) to severely degrade the O3 production efficiency. This is why I said to tell your friend to disconnect it as the amount of O3 generated is very small compared to the task at hand. UV is a little better but those systems often use lamps with weak output in the UV-C spectrum OR they are plumbed into the pool equipment in such as way as to degrade their performance. Both UV and Ozone need long contact times with water to have an impact. Finally, even if you were to generate strong UV or Ozone, neither of those creates a residual concentration of disinfectant and so therefore can not replace the need for chlorine and, in some cases, can actually increase your chlorine demand.

So, on balance, those systems just become very expensive toys that you add to the equipment pad which increase cost (both installation as well as on-going expense and maintenance) with very little, measurable benefit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.