Switching to Salt Water

Thank your for the responses. Yeah i meant the leaf rake. I bought a new one and got a bunch of leaves out of the pool. Hopefully I got them all but without being able to see the bottom I don't know. I really appreciate all your help with this. I know next winter I'll make sure you can still see the bottom regardless of what happens with family life. lol I pulled about 10 bags of leaves out of the pool so hopefully tomorrow I'll see some improvement. Yeah it takes a lot with a kid in NICU. But now its time to tackle the pool.

Well the pool still hasn't cleared up. I have been using the slam method but I know there are still leaves in the bottom. I kind of lost my bag to my leaf rake... It blew off and now I can't find it in the pool.(due to it being so nasty). I hope I'm not adding to much chlorine to my pool. When I test it its off my color scale its so potent.

Well the pool still hasn't cleared up. I have been using the slam method but I know there are still leaves in the bottom. I kind of lost my bag to my leaf rake... It blew off and now I can't find it in the pool.(due to it being so nasty). I hope I'm not adding to much chlorine to my pool. When I test it its off my color scale its so potent.

I'm seeing two problems here that are going to keep you from having a successful SLAM.

First, it would seem from what you are describing that you still have a fair amount of solid waste on the bottom of your pool. This waste has to be removed as it will completely use up your chlorine. The only way to do this is the hard way - you need to scoop all the gunk out with a leaf rake and use your filter's "vacuum to waste" feature to slowly and carefully suction any thick, liquidy sludge off the bottom. If you do not have a vacuum head and a vacuum hose (that attaches to your skimmer or dedicated suction port), then you must buy or borrow one. This is laborious, tedious and nasty work but it must be done.

Second, I'm not seeing any test results posted. You say you have a K-2006 kit, yet you keep mentioning the color of the chlorine test being red and off the charts. There is no "chart" with the DPD-FAS titration test. You add the color indicator (DPD) to the test solution and then add the titration drops (FAS) and count until the solution turns from pink to clear. You also say you hope you're not over-doing it on the chlorine, but there is no way to know that unless you post test results for your FC, CC and CYA values. A SLAM can only be successful if you know exactly what your FC level is (shock level FC is determined by CYA concentration) and you can only know how much chlorine to add to maintain the proper FC level by accurately testing it. In the beginning of a SLAM, you often have to test every 2 hours or so to know how much chlorine your water needs as it will consume chlorine very quickly in the beginning.

Please let us know where you are at with all of this.

Best of luck,
Matt

Curtis! You have had a rough few months with the baby and all that. HUGS! I hope all is well now.

Now lets get the pool well! We can help you do it. It will take some time and effort BUT once we get it clear it will be smooth sailing!

-leaves and stuff-that HAS to come up. Did I read that your manual vacuum broke or was it your leaf rake? I am guessing you meant leaf rake due to the 3 bags full (like Mary Had a Little Lamb LOL). THEN you lost the bag/net from your new one. If you did not have bad luck you would no luck at all. Please see about getting another leaf rake ASAP

You can also try something like this. It uses water from a hose to "gobble" up the leaves. ClearView Big Gobbler Pool Vacuum | MKM Pool Spa

OR you can use a manual vacuum like this. You will be doing it "blind" but if you go slow you will get a LOT of the gunk off the floor. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Triangular-Swimming-Pool-Weighted-Vacuum-with-Swivel-Cuff/44192115

Now lets talk testing and kits. Please look at your test box and tell me the numbers on it. I am guessing you will see the numbers 2005. If that is the case that is not good enough for a SLAM :( We shall see.

I am SO sorry the only thing I am doing is telling you to spend more money. With all that you have gone through I am sure things may be a little tight right now BUT think of it this way..............we will be able to get your pool clear in time for the whole family to enjoy the pool when it warms up!

HUGS to your and yours! Let me know what you find and decide to do.

Kim

Ok so correction on my test kit. It is the k-2005. I thought I had the other one. As far as the leaves I said leaf rake but it is actually the road leaf vacuum you hook the hose to. I'm going to fish around with my net today to see if I can recover the bags lol. So I guess I need to go buy the Taylor 2006 kit today. While I'm at the pool store I'll get them to test my water and compare it to my reading when I get home. Also if I can't find the nets I'll just have to buy another. I'm going to get more liquid chlorine as well. Sorry I was confused on the test kit. Mine does do fc and tc. Then subtract the two for cc but it rely on the color and it's off the charts so I can't properly figure it out. But thanks again for the help and I will post the readings one I go to the pool store this morning. I am tired of throwing money away. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I need to spend more money but I've listen to pool stores and she sees where that has gotten us....nowhere. Lol. So I'm ready to be like you all and do everything myself. Thanks again for all the help.

I would not bother getting them to test your water. They are wrong WAY more than they are right :( I "lost" a pool to the pool stores. My levels were SO far off my liner "rotted" out and all of the water went out in a big river. I was able to get out in time so was not hurt but very scared! Knowing what I know now I think my CYA was WAY high and as well as the PH/TA being out of wack.

This is THE test you are looking for now:

TFTestkits.net

It allows you to test as high as you need to for a SLAM.

Happy "fishing"! LOL

Tell your wife that this wife understands BUT it will pay off in the end and save you SO much money in the end!

Kim

Well it doesn't matter due to the fact they were closed. I thought they were open on Sunday but I guess I thought wrong. I really wish I could get thing clear but without the proper levels I know I can't do it. So I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and hopefully they will have that test kit.

Well it doesn't matter due to the fact they were closed. I thought they were open on Sunday but I guess I thought wrong. I really wish I could get thing clear but without the proper levels I know I can't do it. So I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and hopefully they will have that test kit.

Curtis,

They very likely will not have a Taylor K-2006 test kit as few shops, if any, carry it. It's considered an advanced enough test kit that most pool stores would not sell it to the general public.

Your best bet would be to order it online either directly from Taylor or through Amazon (Amato Industries is an Amazon selling of pool stuff that I have used many times). The TF100 from TFTestkits.net is your best option for getting a test kit quickly. The TF100 uses all Taylor reagents and are just packaged differently to give you more of the reagents that you will use more frequently. It's up to you but the pool store will be a waste of time.

As for what to do I would recommend just adding about 1/2 gallon or so of bleach per day until your test kit shows up. This won't fix the problem but it will keep it from getting worse. While you wait, work on getting all the sludge out of your pool and keep vacuuming it as best you can.

Then, when your test kit arrives, we can go at the pool hard and get it clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Curtis,

They very likely will not have a Taylor K-2006 test kit as few shops, if any, carry it. It's considered an advanced enough test kit that most pool stores would not sell it to the general public.

Your best bet would be to order it online either directly from Taylor or through Amazon (Amato Industries is an Amazon selling of pool stuff that I have used many times). The TF100 from TFTestkits.net is your best option for getting a test kit quickly. The TF100 uses all Taylor reagents and are just packaged differently to give you more of the reagents that you will use more frequently. It's up to you but the pool store will be a waste of time.

As for what to do I would recommend just adding about 1/2 gallon or so of bleach per day until your test kit shows up. This won't fix the problem but it will keep it from getting worse. While you wait, work on getting all the sludge out of your pool and keep vacuuming it as best you can.

Then, when your test kit arrives, we can go at the pool hard and get it clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thank you for the advice. I just added a gallon of chlorine before I read your reply. I went ahead and ordered it off amazon for like $54.00. It should be here Tuesday. So I guess its a waiting game until I can get an accurate test on Tuesday. It's crazy how the pool stores can be so messed up when it comes to water testing. This is probably why my pool isn't cleared up by now..lol Thank you for your help. At least I got the salt system installed and wired up. Its not on and I made a pipe to take the cell out so when it gets cleared up all I have to do is unscrew the pipe and put the cell in. I did notice alot of brown in my piping that came clean when I wiped. Does it sound like maybe my sand in my filter needs to be changed? It was suposibly done when we bought the house and the new pump was installed which was approx 2 1/2 years ago. Thanks again for all of your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brown in the pipes is not likely sand. You more than likely have an algae infestation and or bacterial biofilms all throughout your plumbing system. Find a cheap source of bleach/liquid chlorine (preferably refillable containers) because I see a lot of chlorine in your future.

Stay the course for now.

I have been using the liquid chlorine. I have 4 jugs that are 3 gallons a piece. I have been getting them filled at the pool store. So I guess I will just keep getting them filled..lol

I have been using the liquid chlorine. I have 4 jugs that are 3 gallons a piece. I have been getting them filled at the pool store. So I guess I will just keep getting them filled..lol

As long as that option isn't too costly. I have a local pool store that does that with both LC and MA and it is very cheap to get those chemicals that way. So if that works for you, then keep it up.

As long as that option isn't too costly. I have a local pool store that does that with both LC and MA and it is very cheap to get those chemicals that way. So if that works for you, then keep it up.

I think its around $18 to fill all 4 so that's 12 gallons. I guess I may be able to find bleach cheaper.. I would just have to look and see what the cost is for bleach.

$1.50/gal is a great price but it depends on strength. As long as their LC is being used and not sitting around for months on end (bleach degrades over time), then I think you're getting a good deal.

Ok so I wanted to thank you all for convincing me to get the K-2006 kit. That thing is awesome!! So here are my readings:
FC-9.2
CC-6
PH-7.3
AL- 8
CH-150
CA- 45

I also didn't add any chlorine last night due to the fact I was out and I knew there was quite a bit in there. I guess I should have considering my levels dropped to 9.2..... Any help will be greatly appreciated in what chemicals I need to add or lower. Thank you again for all your help. BTW I have 12 gallons of chlorine right now so I hope that will hold me for a few days if not its back to the pool store. lol

- - - Updated - - -

So from what i'm reading to slam my pool I need to keep my FC at around 16ppm?

I'm assuming AL is alkalinity. We usually refer to it by TA. And cyanuric acid is CYA.

I hope the alkalinity number is a typo and you meant 80, not 8.

So we only report CYA to the nearest ten's and the convention is to always round up. So your CYA is 50ppm. At this point your shock level is 20ppm FC and you need to do your best to hold it there. Put your pool numbers into PoolMath and figure out how much LC you need to add based in the LC's strength (10% or 12.5%??). In the beginning you want to test frequently because your FC is going to drop rapidly after every addition until the algae is eradicated.

Don't worry about anything else right now.

By the way, your CCs are incredibly high at 6ppm (unless that was a typo and you meant 0.6ppm). You'll want to keep the pool uncovered and the pumps running 24/7. Keep removing whatever solid waste you can and keep checking the filter because you're going to be backwashing it A LOT as the algae is killed.

Ok thank you I'm going to start it right now. Yes I just multiplied it by 2 and forgot the decimal point on the CC. Sorry I'm used to having a pool store tell me..lol which I'm sure for the most part they were wrong. I wonder if I should try to start slamming it tomorrow since I need to test every few hours.. I know I'll probably up for about 5-6 more hours tonight but that will be the last time I can test until the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.